Thread: GE Fridge Stops cooling

GE Fridge Stops cooling

Model Number: GSS20IEMDWW
    Brand: GE

We have had this fridge for a while now and recently it started giving us issues. Out of the blue it will stop cooling entirely, the fan will blow but the compressor will stop running. When I unplug it and remove the access panel to the motherboard nothing is burnt. When I tap on the relays on the motherboard with the handle of a screwdriver then plug it back in the compressor starts up. By process of elimination ( this has happened a few times now ) I was able to find which relay it is. But I am assuming that I can not replace them individually and that I will have to order a new motherboard all together. I guess what I am asking is if any of you professionals agree with my assessment of the diagnosis?

It sounds like your diagnosis is probably correct. It sounds like the relay probably isn't making a consistent good connection. The only way to verify this is to do a voltage test at the compressor. The compressor should have 120v going to it to when the compressor is supposed to be running. If you don't have any voltage going to the compressor when the compressor should be running, then the control board will need to be replaced.

The relays themselves are not designed to be replaced on the control board. If a component on the control board fails, then the whole control board will need to be replaced.

This is the control board for your model:

Main Control Board - Part # PD00000994 (mfg # WR55X10942)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter