View Poll Results: What to do?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get the thrust bearing kit... that'll fix it for sure.

1 33.33%
  • hmmmm... I don't know. Could be the pump

0 0%
  • It's something else... you're going to waste your time with that thrust bearing

0 0%
  • DUH... Time to buy a new machine

0 0%
  • The problem is the clutch or the transmission

3 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Spinning (but maybe a little slowly) and leaving clothes too wet

Spinning (but maybe a little slowly) and leaving clothes too wet

Model Number: mavt236aww
    Brand: Maytag

Our Maytag washer is leaving clothes too wet after the spin cycle completes. We sometimes (but not always) have a grinding sound coming from below the machine while the agitator is running. Someone suggested I check the pump so I pulled it out and checked it pretty well. Seemed fine so I put it back. I replaced the single belt. Someone else suggested tipping the machine back and rotating the large pulley by hand, at least 10 turns in each direction. He said one direction should have more resistance. When I tried it there really was very little resistance either direction and it seemed the same. Both directions made the agitator turn back and forth but neither direction made the tub spin.

I'm thingking I need a thrust bearing kit. Anyone? Am I on the right track?

BTW... the last load my wife just ran seemed to leave the clothes not too wet. Oh joy... looks like it might be an intermitant problem. How lucky can I be?

First thing I would check would be if anything is stuck in one of the small holes at the bottom of the washer (like a small screw, nail, ect). Next I would look underneath the washer for any signs of grease that is leaking from the transmission. Grease leaking from the transmission can get on different things and cause them to slip (like the belt, ect), when this happens you have to replace the transmission to take care of the problem. The pump is not very common to cause problems with spinning, so if you inspected it and it spins freely then it should be fine.

When you rotate the pulley by hand underneath the washer, turning it one way should make the agitator turn and turning it the other way should make the tub spin. If it is agitating when you turn it both ways, then that is usually a sign that the transmission is bad. The thrust bearing kit may or may not take care of the issue that you are having, it is hard to say 100%. The kit isn't too expensive, so it might be worth giving a try before getting a different washer or putting a new transmission in the washer.

Hopefully that helps some!

This is the thrust bearing kit for your washer:

Thrust Bearing Kit - 12002213
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Well I replaced the thrust bearing. Before I installed the retaining clip I rotated the pulley and it seemed to be working fine. One direction and the assembly slipped up on the cam and the other way it slipped down. I installed the thicker washer and after much trial and error and more than a few bad words.... I got the retaining clip attached. I once again spun the pulley only to find that the assembly doesnt seem to be working. I have no resisitance either direction, indicating the drum is not engaging. Only the agitator would spin. I set the machine down and turned it on to the spin cycle and sure enough... no spinning at all now! Just the agitator going at it. I took the whole thrust bearing assembly out again and checked and rechecked to be sure I had it installed correctly but again it doesnt seem to be working. Does the cam have to be in a particular position when you install the washer and the clip? I'm rotating the pulley all the way in one direction to get the shaft out as much as possible to get the clip on. Even then it is difficult with the thicker washer. Am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad brake or transmission. Don't know if I should give it up or if the machine is even worth fixing at this point.

Oh wait... see update in next post
    Last edited by cypresstd; 09-16-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Update

Well here is an update to how the machine is operating. My wife started a load of laundry thinking the machine was fixed since she knew I was working on it last night when she went to bed. To my suprise the clothes did not come out dripping wet. So I thought, " could it be that it is spinning ok after all, eventhough I couldnt get it to do so after replacing the thrust bearing?

So I started a load of laundry myself and took note of everything that seemed odd to me. It filled up fine and when it started to aggitate the machine made a loud grinding, sort of clunking sound. It would do this sometimes but not always even before I replaced the thrustbearing. The machine progressed through everything fine and did in fact spin. Yea! Now I did watch the spin cycle carefully with the door open and the door switch engaged with a screwdriver. It was spinning much faster than before I replaced the thrust bearing. Every now and then it all of a sudden slowed down and the agitator seemed to engage for a couple of seconds. The tub continues to spin when it does this but it seems to knock the load off balance and slow down the spinning. Then the spinning gradually gets faster and faster. Again, much faster than before I replaced the thrust bearing. About every 40 - 50 seconds during the spin cylce it would again seem to engage the aggitator and slow down the spin... but eventually speed up again. I don't know if that is normal or not but it didn't seem to affect the final result. It completed the spin cycle with a very rapid spin and behold... nicely spun dry clothes. Haven't had that for about a month now.

So here is my questions... did I fix the darn thing or not. What is the clunking, grinding sound when the machine is aggitating and why does it do it sometimes but other times not do it at all? Is the pattern I observed with the spin cycle normal? Thanks for your input... I'm handy enough to feel like I can take on these repairs but lack the experience to know what is normal or not and how to tell what a problem is just by hearing an odd noise.
    Last edited by cypresstd; 09-16-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Well I think you had/have two different issues. You might have fixed one of them with the thrust bearing kit. When the washer is in the spin cycle, it should not agitate at all. If it is agitating in the spin cycle then you most likely have a bad transmission, that is the only thing that I have seen on these washers that will cause them to agitate during the spin cycle. The clunking/grinding sound is most likely coming from the transmission. There is probably something internally messed up in the transmission.

This is the transmission for your washer:

Transmission & Seal Kit - 35-6615
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

The Cause

Quote Originally Posted by cypresstd View Post
    Well here is an update to how the machine is operating. My wife started a load of laundry thinking the machine was fixed since she knew I was working on it last night when she went to bed. To my suprise the clothes did not come out dripping wet. So I thought, " could it be that it is spinning ok after all, eventhough I couldnt get it to do so after replacing the thrust bearing?

So I started a load of laundry myself and took note of everything that seemed odd to me. It filled up fine and when it started to aggitate the machine made a loud grinding, sort of clunking sound. It would do this sometimes but not always even before I replaced the thrustbearing. The machine progressed through everything fine and did in fact spin. Yea! Now I did watch the spin cycle carefully with the door open and the door switch engaged with a screwdriver. It was spinning much faster than before I replaced the thrust bearing. Every now and then it all of a sudden slowed down and the agitator seemed to engage for a couple of seconds. The tub continues to spin when it does this but it seems to knock the load off balance and slow down the spinning. Then the spinning gradually gets faster and faster. Again, much faster than before I replaced the thrust bearing. About every 40 - 50 seconds during the spin cylce it would again seem to engage the aggitator and slow down the spin... but eventually speed up again. I don't know if that is normal or not but it didn't seem to affect the final result. It completed the spin cycle with a very rapid spin and behold... nicely spun dry clothes. Haven't had that for about a month now.

So here is my questions... did I fix the darn thing or not. What is the clunking, grinding sound when the machine is aggitating and why does it do it sometimes but other times not do it at all? Is the pattern I observed with the spin cycle normal? Thanks for your input... I'm handy enough to feel like I can take on these repairs but lack the experience to know what is normal or not and how to tell what a problem is just by hearing an odd noise.
    I had the same problem and after disassembling and inspecting everything else, I disassembled the transmission which contains oil. A nylon gear had several teeth stripped off of it and another nylon ring/sleeve part was broken. I have been informed that the current transmission replacement part is a different part number than the original which indicates that the new replacement part might have been designed in an effort to avoid the broken transmission problem we experienced.