Thread: Refrigerator is no cooling

Refrigerator is no cooling

Model Number: ABD2233DES
    Brand: Amana

Last week the refrigerator was cooling but freezer was working fine. I called repairman and he told me I needed a new control board. I ordered part 12868513. The serviceman told me that after replacing the control board he would need to defrost the freezer but taking off the back wall and using a hair dryer to defrost the coils.
    While waiting for the part, the frig started cooling again. I heard a couple loud pops the night before and the next day it was cooling. I've checked the temps and it is around 35 degrees. The fan is now working. I'm assuming it was frozen and the reason for not cooling the frig. If I replace the control board myself, it is necessary to defrost the freezer to reset the defrost cycle.

If the refrigerator has not been going through the automatic defrost cycle, then you will need to manually defrost the evaporator coil to get it caught back up after replacing the control board. The refrigerator defrost cycle will not be able to catch up on own.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Refrigerator is not cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    If the refrigerator has not been going through the automatic defrost cycle, then you will need to manually defrost the evaporator coil to get it caught back up after replacing the control board. The refrigerator defrost cycle will not be able to catch up on own.
    Sorry but how will I know if the frig has not been going through the auto defrost cycle? What is the process for defrosting the coils if it is needed? Would I defrost the coils before or after I set the code for the new control board?

Sorry but how will I know if the frig has not been going through the auto defrost cycle? What is the process for defrosting the coils if it is needed? Would I defrost the coils before or after I set the code for the new control board?

You will have to unplug the refrigerator, and remove the back panel in the freezer section to look at the evaporator coil to see if it has been defrosting properly. Defrosting the coil involves using a hair dryer to melt the excess frost. We recommend defrost the freezer first before installing the new control board.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter