Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice melting together

Ice melting together

Model Number: GSS250GPA ww
    Brand: GE

HI
    Checked the door seals they are good and the flap that the ice comes out is closing. I shut the ice maker off. The ice that I leave in the tray melts together and the auger get frozen also every couple of days. What do I need to check and what part or parts do I need.
    Thanks
    Rich

Turned off the water and put in new cubes. Will see in a few days if they melt together and then go from there.
    Rich

The ice was frozen together this morning. I removed the entire icemaker unit and put in new cubes in the tray. Will see tomorrow if they are frozen together.

Rich,

There are multiple things that can cause this type of problem. Just recently there was another person posting about this same type of problem. Here is a link to that thread: http://forum.partsdr.com/showthread....eezer-contents

Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Doc Ryan
    Had company. Still messing with it. I read the thread. Will get back to you
    Thanks

Okay, sounds good.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Doc Ryan
    I shut off the water. Removed the icemaker unit cleaned and dried it and put it back. The water is off. I put some ice cubes in the tray and now they are melted together. Door seal is good and the flap in the door is closed. Sounds like I need the defrost sensor that was mentioned in the thread you posted in this thread. Can you give me a part number so I can purchase it from you and where it is located.
    Thanks
    Rich

OK I put some new ice cubes toward the bottom of the freezer and they are ok. They do not melt together. The only cubes that melt together are in the dispenser drawer. Could use some help please.
    Thanks Rich

I was having a hard time locating your model number, I think it is supposed to be GSS25QGPAWW. The defrost sensor is part number WR55X10025, it is located on the top left part of the evaporator coil behind the bottom panel in the back of the freezer.

Temperature Sensor (Thermistor) - WR55X10025
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

You are correct. After taking a good look at it the 0 is a Q. Thanks for figuring that out. I will order the number that you gave me and will let you know how things go after the install.

Okay, sounds good. Keep me posted on how it works out.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Ok
    I received the part. I removed the very bottom panel that is as wide as the refrigerator. On the left is a compressor and on the right is a round coil with a fan on the left side of it. The only wires that I see are what looks like a white plastic rectangle connector? with two white, two red, and a yellow wire on one side and a white, blue, yellow, and a red wire from the other side. Is the defrost sensor inside of that plastic part and if so how do you open it?

No, you are looking in the wrong area. This part is located inside the freezer compartment. It is located on the top left part of the evaporator coil behind the bottom panel in the back of the freezer compartment.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Ok Thanks. I will check it out tomorrow and get back to you.

New sensor spliced in. Turned on icemaker. Reloaded the freezer. By tomorrow we will see if that was the problem.

Great, let me know if the problem is resolved or not.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Well finally I have ice that does not melt together and the auger motor runs without icing up and freezing solid. Thanks for your help.

Great, I am glad that it took care of your problem. I updated the status of the thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

No problem for about a day and a half. Well I thought it was fixed but when I got up this morning 5/27/13 all the ice cubes were melted together. Now what?

There are multiple things that can cause this type of problem. It can act this way if the door switch isn't working, and the light is staying on. Or if the defrost cycle is staying on too long, or if you are having a cooling system problem.

Here are some things to check:

Check the freezer door light switch. Make sure the switch is working properly and it is engaging with the door.

Check the condenser fan motor and make sure it is running when the compressor is running. This fan cools down the compressor and condenser coil.

Measure the refrigerator and freezer temperatures. They should be approximately 37F in the refrigerator section and 0F in the freezer section.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com