Thread: [FIXED] Freezer not freezing....

[FIXED] Freezer not freezing....

Model Number: HSS25GFTA BB
    Brand: GE

Hello All... Our fridge started having issues as the freezer no longer is freezing new items. Items that were in the freezer prior to this problem are staying mostly frozen, but new items like our little freezer packs we keep in our lunch pails for work that are filled with water, will not freeze. Popsicles and the like same and new meats and such don't ever completely freeze up. We noticed that edges around the freezer seem very warm, but you know in all truth, we never checked it before so it may have been like this prior to the problem. Any suggestions or ideas? Thank You...

First, I would check to see if the condenser fan motor is running. This fan motor is located behind the bottom panel on the back side of the refrigerator. This fan should be running any time the compressor is running to dissipate the heat. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks Doc... I'll look at that later today when I get home from work. One question... If that compressor fan is not running, would that also effect the fridge side? The only reason I ask is that the fridge side "seems" to be running without a hitch, unlike the freezer which is running at half speed at best. Thanks so much for your help!
    Last edited by pashkop; 05-02-2013 at 11:19 AM.

The refrigerator gets its cold air from the freezer, so if you are having a problem, you will first notice it on the freezer side and then on the refrigerator side if the problem gets worse.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Ok... So I would assume this is what you were talking about Doc, right? I attached a pic here and if this in fact it, no it was not running.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	148

So if this is the culprit, how much does something like this cost to fix? I'm not bad with my hands, but I'm no ace mechanic either... What's the difference in cost from myself trying to do it (if you even suggest me trying to do it), versus hiring someone to come out and do it? My wife and I rent, so I'd like to give our landlord the skinny on both possibilities.

Also, are there any other items I might want to look at first or no? Maybe I'm jumping the gun and there is a fuse, or something of the like, that could/should be replaced before thinking of replacing the motor/fan?

Again, thank you so much for your time and help!
    Last edited by pashkop; 05-02-2013 at 10:00 PM.

If the compressor is running, then that fan motor should also be running. To temporarily get the refrigerator working properly, you can use a small house fan pointed at that area to get the refrigerator working properly again until the part is replaced.

Replacing the fan is usually pretty easy on these refrigerators. You will want to unplug the refrigerator, remove the screws on the fan shroud bracket, and then that should give you access to pull the old fan motor out of there (still connected to the bracket) and disconnect the wire harness. You will then remove the screws holding the fan motor in place. Take out the old motor, and install the new one in the reverse order. The part is currently about $20 (click the link below), and I would estimate a service company would probably charge $125-$250 for the repair. Let me know how the repair goes for you.

This is the condenser fan motor for your refrigerator:

Condenser Fan Motor - WR60X10220
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Hey Doc... Well you hit the nail right on the head... Compressor is running and fan is not running. Put a little house fan down there and all is back to normal. Doesn't sound too difficult at all to replace, so I'll be doing that once the part arrives. I went ahead and ordered the part that you posted above, through you, as you certainly deserve the business after your help on this. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by pashkop; 05-04-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Great! Let me know how it works will the new condenser fan motor installed.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Got an email last night from you guys, letting me know my part has been shipped, so once I receive it and get it installed and going I'll update you on how it works. Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Replacing the fan is usually pretty easy on these refrigerators. You will want to unplug the refrigerator, remove the screws on the fan shroud bracket, and then that should give you access to pull the old fan motor out of there (still connected to the bracket) and disconnect the wire harness. You will then remove the screws holding the fan motor in place. Take out the old motor, and install the new one in the reverse order. The part is currently about $20 (click the link below), and I would estimate a service company would probably charge $125-$250 for the repair. Let me know how the repair goes for you.
    OK... I got the part and I see what you are saying. One question.... When pulling the actual fan from the motor "stem" I guess it would be. Do I just pull the fan off, or is there a trick to it? I don't see a screw or anything holding it in place, but I don't want to break anything by trying to force it off. If you could please advise, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Doc... So I was looking at the part and one side of the housing plastic part is broken and seems to pulling the orange wire out of place. See here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	150

I have not installed it and don't want to as I'm afraid after time the orange wire will slip out, as compared to the old motor, is much further out. Can I please get a replacement part? I have filled out the return form and referenced this thread for them (or you) to look at.

Thank you for notifying me of the issue with the part. I have sent you an email regarding this.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Hello Ryan... I received the replacement part (thank you very much for the quick delivery!!), installed it and the fan started right up. So far so good, as all seems to be working as it should. Once again, thank you for your help and customer service!

Thanks for the update! I updated the status of the thread to FIXED. I bet your landlord is happy you save them a bunch of money. Hopefully you will get paid a little bit extra for doing the repair.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com