Thread: High pitched whining noise

High pitched whining noise

Model Number: GSL251FRFBS
    Brand: GE

There is a very high pitched whining noise coming from behind the ice maker of my GE side by side. The refrigerator came with the house and it has made the noise ever since I turned it on 2 years ago. It is super annoying and super loud. It does not stop when I open the freezer door and there is no frost accumulation in the freezer compartment. I turned off the ice maker to see if the noise would stop and it made no difference. It appears that a lot of these GE refrigerators have problems with the control board but it may also be just the evaporator fan motor (right?). I do not live in an area that has GE appliance repair folks. How can I trouble shoot the problem to determine the cause? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by livingmydream; 05-08-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Does the noise sound like it is coming from the fan in the freezer section?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

location of noise

Hi Dr. Ryan,

Thanks so much for your response. The noise is coming from behind the white plastic housing at the very top of the freezer compartment on the left hand side. It is adjacent to the ice maker. The housing has the on/off switch for the ice maker (but as I mentioned previously, it made the whining noise even after I turned the ice maker off). Is the fan located behind this housing?? If so, the answer to your question is "yes."

The evaporator fan motor is located in the middle of the freezer, behind #167 in the attached diagram. You might have to disassemble the freezer to see exactly where the noise is coming from. The only moving parts at the top of the freezer would be the ice maker and the auger motor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GSL25IFRFBS.jpg  
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Hi Dr Ryan,

Please forgive me and thank you for your clarification. You are correct! The noise is coming from the evaporator fan area. Thank you. What would you do next to determine the cause and how to fix it??

The common thing that we see happen with these refrigerators is the fan motor goes bad, and then it causes the main control board to fail. To fix it properly, you typically have to replace both parts. When these parts go bad it can cause the fan speed to vary erratically and make high pitched whooing type noises. Let me know how the repair goes for you.

These are the parts for your model:

Evaporator Fan Motor - Part # PD00001062 (mfg # WR60X10074)

Main Control Board - Part # PD00000994 (mfg # WR55X10942)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com