Thread: Evaporator fan runs constantly

Evaporator fan runs constantly

Model Number: EB2LDKXWN01
    Brand: Whirlpool

I replaced motor/fan a few days ago because old fan was very noisy. New part (SKU #482731) runs great but constantly runs... Any ideas?

The model number that you left is not coming up for me, can you please double check it for me? The evaporator fan motor will continue to run until the refrigerator cools down to the set temperature. Do you have a thermometer that you can use to check the temperature inside the refrigerator?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    The model number that you left is not coming up for me, can you please double check it for me? The evaporator fan motor will continue to run until the refrigerator cools down to the set temperature. Do you have a thermometer that you can use to check the temperature inside the refrigerator?
    Order Number: 31053-490-229

Comments:

SKU Item Qty Price
    482731 Evaporator Fan Motor 1 $31.99
    SubTotal
    Shipping
    Tax
    Total $31.99
    $6.99
    $0.00

It keeps running even on the lowest setting. Fridge is cold. Only turns off when in OFF position

You could have either a cooling problem, or a bad thermostat. It sounds to me like you most likely have a cooling problem, because if the thermostat was staying on it would start to freeze things in the refrigerator. Even though the refrigerator feels cold, it might not be cold enough to trigger the thermostat to shut off. If you can, I would like to have you measure the refrigerator and freezer temperatures. When you had the back panel in the freezer apart, was there much frost buildup on the evaporator coil?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    You could have either a cooling problem, or a bad thermostat. It sounds to me like you most likely have a cooling problem, because if the thermostat was staying on it would start to freeze things in the refrigerator. Even though the refrigerator feels cold, it might not be cold enough to trigger the thermostat to shut off. If you can, I would like to have you measure the refrigerator and freezer temperatures. When you had the back panel in the freezer apart, was there much frost buildup on the evaporator coil?
    Checked temp over night. Reads 29 degrees

29 degrees. And I do recall seeing some build up on the freezer coils

That is definitely getting too cold. Try tapping on the thermostat knob and see if it shuts off then. If it does, that would indicate a bad thermostat.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I have the exact same problem with a top-freezer GE Profile PTS25LHSCRWW fridge. After replacing the fan, the noise problem is solved, but the fan won't shut off or cycle. I'm curious to know what happened in this case. If you managed to solve the problem, I'd be grateful to know what it was.