Thread: [FIXED] Temps not low enough in freezer or fresh food section

[FIXED] Temps not low enough in freezer or fresh food section

Model Number: GSH25KGMD CC
    Brand: GE

GE side by side wasn't working well, frozen items melting, fresh food not cool enough. When I checked I found the air vents mostly occluded on back of unit, condenser same. I cleaned everything up then looked at the evaporator which was completely frozen, which I eventaully thawed. Based on diagnostic testing determined fans, heater and defrost themostat were good.

When I immersed 2 of 3 thermistors in ice water for five minutes then tested resistance I got the following readings:
    Freezer thermistor = 15.8K ohms
    Evaporator thermistor = 13.25K ohms

Am I correct in my understanding that the reading should be 16.3K ohms + or - 5%, which would indicate the need to replace the evaporator thermistor? I also saw on your site that there is in upgraded thermistor available now, should I just replace both w/ the new version while I'm at it?

And my last questions are:
    How do you test the fresh food thermistor which must be enclosed in the damper assembly from what I can see?
    Is the thermistor replaceable or must the whole damper assembly be replaced?

If your thermistors are the older style, then I would recommend replacing both of them. I don't think I would try to disassemble the damper assembly at this time since it doesn't sound like that thermistor is bad. If the evaporator coil was frosted up completely, then it is either the thermistor or main control board that is causing the problem. Let me know how the repair goes, and what you find is the problem.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for the info Doc, I'll order the parts now and let you know what happens after I install them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    If your thermistors are the older style, then I would recommend replacing both of them. I don't think I would try to disassemble the damper assembly at this time since it doesn't sound like that thermistor is bad. If the evaporator coil was frosted up completely, then it is either the thermistor or main control board that is causing the problem. Let me know how the repair goes, and what you find is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotfrige View Post
    Thanks for the info Doc, I'll order the parts now and let you know what happens after I install them.
    Okay, sounds good!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

I replaced the evaporator and freezer thermistors and the frige and freezer quickly reached a lower temp than they had been before, this even with a lower setting on the temp control. It appears that the problem is fixed. If there are no problems over the next week or two I'll consider it a done deal. Doc, your sound advice, low prices and fast shipping are greatly appreciated.

Great, I am glad that took care of your problem! I have updated the status of the thread to FIXED. Thank you for your business, we really appreciate it .
    Ryan

PartsDr.com