Thread: Ice maker overfilling

Ice maker overfilling

Model Number: GSH25KGMD CC
    Brand: GE

GE fridge ice maker is overfilling w/ water causing the formation of icecicles and WATER dripping onto to shut off arm and into ice bin. Is this a water inlet valve problem?

There are a few different things that can cause this type of problem. What I would recommend doing is to unplug the refrigerator, and remove the ice maker. With the ice maker removed, thaw out and remove all of the excess ice and water. Leave the ice maker out and see if water continues to drip in through the ice maker fill tube. If water does drip in from the fill tube while the ice maker is removed, then the water valve is bad and leaking and it will need to be replaced. Let me know what you find.

This is the water valve for your model:

Water Inlet Valve - WR57X10032
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I was in a hurry when I posted so here is what I didn't say: [LIST][*]I removed the Ice maker (IM) and filled it w/ water - it didn't leak overnight[*]I reinstalled the IM[*]I performed the diagnostic test of shutting the IM down, turning it back on after 15", then performing three paddle pushes [*]It slowly ran through the rake cycle [*]When it filled, I watched the water fill the cube tray nicely[*]Then it continued to the point of overfill and water ran out at each end of the tray, dripping down onto the paddle and into the ice bin[*]Then I said a bad word or three

I will now remove the ice maker and see what happens because that will definitely provide more information. It makes perfect sense to do so now that you say it because I didn't know how to isolate the valve as the problem ...

Thanks Parts Dr, you rock!

How many seconds is it filling up with water for? There could are a few different possibilities. You could have a bad ice maker causing it to fill for too long, you could have a bad water valve that is sticking open or leaking, or you could have too much water pressure going to the refrigerator. On the "new" GE ice makers, they have an adjustment if they are filling up with water that you can adjust. On the front right side of the ice maker above the on/off switch, there should be a small cover. Remove this cover to expose the adjustment screw. One revolution of the screw adjusts the water fill by 1 second. It has arrows showing which way to turn it + or -. Older style ice makers do not have this feature.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter