Thread: Yet another ice maker problem

Yet another ice maker problem

Model Number: KSRS25RVMK03
    Brand: KitchenAid

I have a Kitchen Aid KSRS25RVMK03 refrigerator which has a Whirlpool W10190960 ice maker. The ice maker overflows. I have tried:

1) Replacing the ice maker. The new ice maker also overflows.

2) I ran a couple of cycles by connecting the ice maker and manually filling the ice tray. I then caught the water coming out of the ice maker valve in a jar. The valve allow 13-14 oz of water for each of three cycles. Once the water stop, it did not drop. The cubes did freeze and eject.

3) I checked the line voltage. This is where it gets interesting. I measured the voltage between black and white on the connector and it measured 88V. Between black and tan, I got 44V. The input voltage to the refrigerator is 122V. Shouldn't the input voltage on bk-wh be 122V.

My water pressure is between 40-60 psi running off a well. I am trying to determine if the new ice maker is defective or if I need a new valve or if the voltage is the issue.

The voltage on these is like that because of the optics control boards, so I think that is a normal reading that you are getting on the voltage. The water flow is a timed fill that the ice maker controls, from the factory this is usually set to around 8 seconds. The ice maker overflowing can come from a bad ice maker, bad water valve, or the water pressure to the refrigerator not being correct. If the new and old ice maker are producing the exact same results, then the new ice maker is probably not defective.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I tried putting the old ice maker back in. Both the old and new are allowing 14 oz of water to flow and takes about 23 secs. Does this indicate a valve problem?

The water pressure has been the same (40-60 psi on a well) since I owned this refrigerator (about 3 years).

When the ice maker calls for water, it is filling for 23 seconds?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    When the ice maker calls for water, it is filling for 23 seconds?
    Yes. From what I have read it should be 7 sec and about 4.5 oz. In my case for both the old and new ice maker, it fills for about 22 seconds and 14 oz.

Since the ice maker controls how long the valve is energized and the fact that the valve does not leak and produces repeatable amount of water I thought the ice maker was the problem. Since the new ice maker has the same issue, my educated guess appears to be wrong.

I did try turning the water level adjustment screw one turn clockwise which had in visible effect. I read somewhere that that is the maximum adjustment (1 full turn clockwise or counterclockwise).

That is correct, the fill adjustment should not be turned more than 1 full turn either way. If you do more than that, it could damage the ice maker. The next thing I would check is the water valve. Do you have a volt meter or multimeter? I would check to see how long the ice maker is sending power to the valve. The valve might be sticking open after there is no power to it?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    That is correct, the fill adjustment should not be turned more than 1 full turn either way. If you do more than that, it could damage the ice maker. The next thing I would check is the water valve. Do you have a volt meter or multimeter? I would check to see how long the ice maker is sending power to the valve. The valve might be sticking open after there is no power to it?
    I can try that but the timing can be tricky with only two hands working from the front. I would not be surprised if the valve is sticking. What surprises me that it consistently sticks the same amount each time. I assume these valves have a return spring that forces the valve to close. If that spring failed, then I could see how I bet the same amount of water each time.

Is there any other component failure that could be causing this? If not, I am tempted to order the valve and be done with it. Seems like a premature failure.

Let me do some more research on this.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com