Thread: MAYTAG BRAVO - Tub bearing issue?

MAYTAG BRAVO - Tub bearing issue?

Model Number: MTW6600TQO
    Brand: Maytag

I previously was getting the F-51 code and found out about the speed sensor issue and went through the process of popping the connector in and out 5 times. Put everything back together. The washer now runs fine, but I believe we are hearing a bearing issue or what I believe is the bearing issue. When the washer is going through the spin cycle it is making a noise and it gets louder at the higher rpm levels. Before the f-51 code we didn't have this issue and now we do, but I didn't even work w/ the bearing in the repair. What is going on? If it is the tub bearing can I regrease it?

The two issues you are having are probably separate, but they could be related. The F-51 error code can be caused by the tub not spinning freely, so if the bearing was bad enough and the tub isn't spinning freely then that could also cause the error code. More commonly the F51 error code is caused by the RPS sensor, Whirlpool has improve the design of this part and they now replace the sensor and wire harness to take care of the problem. Also, the main control board going bad can cause the F-51 error code.

The bearing on your washer is a sealed bearing and does not require any grease. When they go bad, they will start to get noisy. The noise will get louder the higher the RPM. As it gets worse, you will also get water leaking out the bottom of the washer. For your model washer, they do sell a bearing and seal kit that will fix this problem.

These are the replacement parts for you washer:

Rotor Position Sensor - W10183157

Machine/Motor Control - W10189966

Tub Bearing Shaft & Seal Kit - W10435302
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Doc Ryan,

Is there anyway to test to find out if the bearing is going bad or if it could be something else? Is there a chance something could be inside the inner tub and rubbing on the outer tub? Just wondering so I don't go ahead and buying the outer tub assembly and then not need it??

You would need to remove the inner wash tub to check to see if anything is caught between the inner and outer tubs. Usually if the inner tub spins freely by hand, then nothing is caught between the two tubs.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter