Thread: Whirlpool duet tub is sagging in the back lifting the front of tub past door seal

Whirlpool duet tub is sagging in the back lifting the front of tub past door seal

Model Number: WFW9200SQA12
    Brand: Whirlpool

My wife was washing clothes and heard a loud bang or boom noise. She went to the machine and it was in the spin cycle and was spinning "extremely fast". She stopped it and when she opened the door she smelled a burning smell like rubber. When I got home and looked at it the rubber seal on the door was the smell as there was grey "shavings" from the tub rubbing the top of the seal. The tub is tilted up in the front and you can see the white plastic outer tub on the bottom as there is about a 1/2" to 3/4" gap at the bottom. Trying to figure out if this is bearings/ spider arm or something else. The stainless basket is not loose from the tub itself so wasn't sure that it could be the spider arm. The 4 arms on the bottom appear to be in good shape and the 2 springs on top are not broken. Help?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washerphoto.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	162 Here is a photo

Can you tell where it was rubbing or where the rubber shavings came from?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Yes. because the tub is sagging or cocked back the top of the tub is rubbing the grey rubber seal. Is it possible for the shock absorbers to be worn out and how could you tell or the springs have to much give.

Yes. because the tub is sagging or cocked back the top of the tub is rubbing the grey rubber seal. Is it possible for the shock absorbers to be worn out and how could you tell or the springs have to much give.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails washer#2photo.JPG  

Sorry. when you click on this photo you can see the stainless rim of the basket and gap where at the top you don't see any of the basket due to the tilt or sag.

that photo should have been rotated clockwise. will repost

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washer#2photo.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	164 Sorry. Not great on the computer

Does the stainless inner tub touch the plastic outer tub at the top?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

No it is where its suppose to be as far as in the outer tub and it is not loose and doesn't have any play. It appears the whole tub itself has shifted. I have to lift it up from the back of the tub to try to line it back up

The centering of the inner tub inside the outer tub is done by the shaft of the inner tub going through the outer tub bearings. If the centering is off, it could be because the spider broke or the bearings on the outer tub are worn out. I attached the parts breakdown diagram of the tubs for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WFW9200SQA12.jpg  
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I went ahead and took it apart this evening and found that one of the spider arms was broke, and the whole thing was very corroded. From what I have read that was a pretty good run but disappointing that is the life of one. Do you know if they have changed the spider material since it has been such a big issue? Are the newer models having the same issues? If so is there another brand anyone recommends. Doc Ryan, I know the stainless tub is a couple hundred and I would have to get the tub piece that has the bearings as well so probably more than I want to spend on a 6 year old washer. The other outer piece of the tub has a ring rubbed in it from the stainless basket rim. So go ahead and give me the part numbers if you can just for grins. I also am uploading a couple of pictures.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washer3photo.jpg 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washer4photo.jpg 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	167

I know they have made some changes on the spider design on some models, but I don't know if the replacement will be any different from your original.

Here are the part numbers for the inner and outer tubs:

Outer Tub & Bearing - 280232

Inner Basket - W10040480
    Ryan

PartsDr.com