Thread: [FIXED] Replacing Ice Maker on Samsung RSG257 Side-by-Side

[FIXED] Replacing Ice Maker on Samsung RSG257 Side-by-Side

Model Number: RSG257AARS/XAA
    Brand: Samsung

Ice maker went out on my Samsung RSG257AARS/XAA. Boo!

No problem. Bought a new unit from Parts Dr after inspecting the old one and seeing it should be a fairly easy swap out. Just a few screws right? Apparently Samsung decided to make part of the process completely oblivious.

If I remove the screws from the unit I can see the power cable going into a hole on the panel where I presume the Molex connector plugs in. I can't get to this via the hole as it is too far behind it. I went about removing all the associated screws from that panel including the cover over the auger assembly which revealed more screws which were also removed. The panel is free at the bottom but seems to be caught up on something in the top-right area. I tried working the panel in various directions, methods, etc and it just will not come off! What's the secret here? Once I get the panel off I'm pretty sure it is just as simple as unplugging the old maker and plugging in the new one then putting panel/screws/etc all back in place which is easy enough.

I saw others say they just gave up and used the same wiring harness and removed the one that ships with the part and hooked it all together. I'd rather change the whole thing out the right way if possible!

Please help Parts Dr!

So after posting this I remembered to actually search the forum! I found a thread which helped and have some details to add for future reference.

To change out ice maker:

1. Remove the 4 *bronze/gold* headed screws holding the back panel in. There are three horizontal and one vertical down by the auger
    2. As noted in the other thread, you have to jimmy the panel off. There are tabs on the back of the panel towards the top that pressure lock into place. Press up and towards hinge and use a flathead to pry the top-left out. Look for the plastic extension post that the ice maker cover mounts to and the tab is pretty much behind that. Once the left side is out the whole thing comes out as the right side has the same type of tab.
    3. Unplug ice maker and auger power Molex connections
    4. Take the whole assembly out and change out the ice maker at your leisure
    5. Take the bottom heat shield/guard from the OLD ice maker off and attach to the new one. This covers the heating element.
    6. Put it all back together and boom!

One major problem however! Since you have to re-use the heater element coil guard... you would think you would also reuse the two screws that hold it on? You would be incorrect. Someone at Samsung in their infinite wisdom changed the bolt size! The bolts on the "old" ones [at least on my Samsung fridge from ~2009] at M4 x 0.70. They are too big for the new maker even tho it is exact same part number and identical in every other way. I took the maker to the hw store to try to find a fit. I figured, ok if M4 x 0.70 was the old one, maybe M3 x 0.70 would work? Won't thread but seems right size. Tried M2.5 as well and no luck. Tried standard sizes as well in case that changed but no dice.

So my question is... what the heck size are the bolts that hold the shield in place now?? Is the shield even needed?

I had another customer email me with the question regarding the screws. I didn't have an answer for him, but he replied and told me what he ended up finding. He said "the screw hole size on the new icemaker is smaller (3mm). I used old screws that were previously used to mount a hard drive in a computer chassis." Hopefully that helps you out and answers your question. How is the new ice maker working?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Hrm. I'm sure I have some hard drive screws somewhere in my parts drawer. They are all pretty standard so.. we'll see.

It's really lame that Samsung changed the part when they want you to re-use the heat shield! I wasn't able to find that part on PartDr site... was wondering if it said what screws it comes with [if any]?

Is the shield even really needed? Looks like it just blocks you from being stupid and touching the element with your hand provided you have already taken the ice bucket off.

Oh and new maker is working good! That was the fix. Pretty easy overall minus the panel issues.

I agree. If they changed the design of the part they should include the new screws needed or at least provide a part number of the screws to order. I am not sure the function of the heat shield? It could be so that people don't touch it. I am glad the new ice maker is working well, I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

That's what I figured. It is just a plastic piece that isn't even solid.

I have a question regarding the instructions on how to remove the door plate to get to the ice maker molex electrical connector. My panel on this does slide up with play but I cannot seem to get the pry instruction to work, Do you pry from the top or side while lifting? pry on the left side first or will right work? When you say push toward the hinge does this mean the door hinge? Any help would be appreciated for this task

Just Replaced

Quote Originally Posted by dapster1 View Post
    I have a question regarding the instructions on how to remove the door plate to get to the ice maker molex electrical connector. My panel on this does slide up with play but I cannot seem to get the pry instruction to work, Do you pry from the top or side while lifting? pry on the left side first or will right work? When you say push toward the hinge does this mean the door hinge? Any help would be appreciated for this task
    I just replaced my RSG257AARS ice maker. Sears price matched my lowest internet price I found on Ebay. That was 75.60 and with tax and delivery totaled $90. I was stuck at the same point where it would lift but would not come forward. When I lifted and pried on the left side with a flat head screwdriver the panel popped open. I was not prying hard enough before this. Mine did slide up about a half an inch but I think it would pry off without lifting up. It is all plastic which is durable and pliable. All it is, is a snap fit. Mine was made in June of 2012 and the screw threads for the cover plate were the same. Hopefully my experience can help you or someone else in the future.