Thread: Whirlpool Washer

Whirlpool Washer

Model Number: WTW5900TW0
    Brand: Whirlpool

My washer stopped working several months ago. Originally, the machine would run but when it finished, the cloths were really wet.

Repair guy 1 put a new coupler on it and it worked for 3 weeks then stopped.
    Repair guy 2 comes out and says the motor is bad.
    Repair guy 3 comes in and before he even does anything says the transmission is bad. He puts the new motor in. The machine sounded awefull. Then we started to smell burning. So he unplugged it. the wire to the electrical outlet was really hot. So he says it is the transmission. Told us it was not worth putting the money in to it. I just don't feel he knew what he was doing.

He also told me while he was putting the motor in that he watched the You tube video before he came out so he knew how to put the motor in. So I have no faith in the guy to start with. He then gave me a quote for $1,200 for a new transmission.

I put the old motor in and the burning smell has gone away. I noticed the old motor is Part # 8578884 and the new motor is part number 8529935. The electrical hook up on the new motor was slightly different. I Feel like they put the wrong motor in. Can you confirm that for me?

But the real question is.

Here is a link to the sound the washer is making
    http://youtu.be/4dZdb17YiOQ
    My washing machine is making a weird noise while in the spin cycle.
    I don't see a spot to put a screwdriver in to see if the basket is spinning for sure. But When I lift the cover and look real fast, it does not appear to be moving.
    What do you think the problem is?

Quote Originally Posted by GWPguy View Post
    I put the old motor in and the burning smell has gone away. I noticed the old motor is Part # 8578884 and the new motor is part number 8529935. The electrical hook up on the new motor was slightly different. I Feel like they put the wrong motor in. Can you confirm that for me?
    Yes this is the correct motor for your model washer. Part number 8529935 replaces part number 8578884.

Currently does the washer agitate or spin at all?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I did not see it spin.

I have taken the motor, clutch and gear case out.
    Definitely need a new clutch. I have pretty weak fingers and I can spin it, while holding the outer case.
    THe shaft that comes out of the gear case has a lot of play in it. Maybe 1/4" or better. If I hold the gear case steady, I can wobble the shaft. Is that normal?

Yes, it is normal for the shaft to have play in it. Look for grease that has been leaking from the top of the transmission, it is common for these to leak grease and then the grease will get onto the clutch and cause the washer to spin slowly.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter