Thread: Frost/Ice on lower coils Kenmore side by side

Frost/Ice on lower coils Kenmore side by side

Model Number: 106.56546400
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Freezer is freezing, refrigerator side not cold enough. Removed back panel inside freezer and bottom third of coils had frost and ice. Took a hair dryer and defrosted and working, but it looks like the coils may be freezing again. I can see through the bottom vent holes in the freezer back panel and they are already frosting.

Thanks-

Did the top part of the coil have any frost on it at all, or was it bare metal?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Did the top part of the coil have any frost on it at all, or was it bare metal?
    Bare metal

If the top part of the coil is not getting cold at all and it is bare metal, then you have a seal system or compressor problem. When the refrigerator is working properly, it will have a light layer of frost across the entire evaporator coil (click here for example picture). This type of repair can be very expensive to fix and must be done by a professional.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Ryan, It may have had a light frost on the top. It took me quite a while to get the covers off and I honestly don't remember if there was any frost on top. I just know the bottom third was covered with ice. The refrigerator is cooling now, about 38 degrees and the default setting, but I can see frost forming on the both coils through the vent holes in the cover. I did order a defrost thermostat just in case that was the problem and it was not an expensive investment. If it starts to ice at the bottom and there is frost at the top what is your recommendations?

If it is getting a light frost pattern on the top, then the refrigerator is probably not going through the automatic defrost cycle. There are three defrost components on your model refrigerator, the defrost thermostat, defrost heater, and control board. If you have a ohm meter or multimeter you can test the defrost heater for continuity and you can see the video below for how to test the defrost thermostat.

These are the parts for your model:

Defrost Thermostat - W10225581

Defrost Heater - 2323198

Electronic Control - 8201661
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Need HELP with Code for Programming Electronic Control Board!!

Hello, I have a Sear Kenmore side x side Model 10656536400 and a tech has ruled out the thermostat and defrost heater as the problems. It seems that I need a new Electronic Control. Part 8201661 (noted above) is the replacement part and of course now, after 14 years, it is no longer being made. I have found a re-manufactured one and will try to install it myself, but I cannot find the Code it will need to program it!! There is NOTHING marked "Code" on the inside Manufacturer's tag. I have also scoured the Tech Sheet and do not see anything marked "Code" on it. I could really use some help in figuring out the procedures for programming AND what I can use as a code for this model. Thanks SO much for any assistance you can provide! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tag in Fridge.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	634