Thread: Whirlpool dryer; does not cut off; Thermistor and high limit thermostat replaced

Whirlpool dryer; does not cut off; Thermistor and high limit thermostat replaced

Model Number: WED6200SW1
    Brand: Whirlpool

Whirlpool Electric Dryer – Cabrio – model # WED6200SW1 (3 years old)

History: Clothe was getting too hot and the dryer not automatically shutting off when finished. After a couple weeks, the dryer stopped. I checked the Thermal Fuse (#3392519) which is mounted on the duct housing coming from the blower. It was blown. I “assumed” that the Thermistor (#85774274), (sometimes called duct thermostat or internal-bias Thermistor) also located on the outside of the duct housing, was bad. I replaced both the thermal fuse and Thermistor. Apparently the Thermistor, was not bad since I measured the resistance of the new thermistor and compared it to the original thermistor and they both had a resistance of approximate 10,500 ohms at room temperature. Anyway, we tried the dryer again and the clothes overheated and the next day the Thermal Fuse blew again. This time I ordered another thermal fuse and also replace the High Limit Thermostat (# 8577891). It is rated 126.7oC and 37.7oC. (NOTE THIS THERMOSTAT also has another 2 connectors which feed into the lower voltage section of the control panel). After receiving the new High Limit Thermostat, I determine that the both the old and new Thermostat have the same resistance (0 ohms across the main thermostat and 47,000 ohms across the small thermistor). Anyway, since I already purchased it, I replaced it. The dryer worked for part of a cycle, the cloth still got to hot and the thermal fuse blew again. The heating element looks perfect and measures 11.3 ohms. The Thermal cutoff switch (located 1 foot above the heating element) also appears good. It measures 0 ohms.
    Now that I replaced both (a) the High Limit Thermostat and (b) the Thermistor (i.e Internal-Bias Thermistor or duct thermostat), what else could be causing the problem.?
    Thanks

Have you checked to see if the heating element is shorted to ground?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Whirlpool dryer does not cut off under high temperatures

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Have you checked to see if the heating element is shorted to ground?
    Thanks for responding to my question. I double checked. The heating coil is in great shape. It is not grounding out

No need for more response. I removed the cover to gain access to the electronic control panel. Low and behold, a technical manual was under the cover. It had a very comprehensive diagnosis write-up. According to the test, (measure resistance between post 6 and post 3 on the P4 control board connector, I have a bad control panel. (Most likely, it is the relay that is soldered onto the board, but one cannot find a part number to replace only the relay, thus one has to replace the entire board.

Yes that relay on the control board could be sticking and causing the heat to stay on and overheat. The manufacture does not sell any individual components on control boards, so the whole control board must be replaced if it has a failure.

This is the control board for your model dryer:

Control Board - W10111617
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

response

Doc Ryan
    Thanks, I came to the same conclusion this afternoon after many hours of readin gand then finding the diagnostic manual hidden in the control cover casing. , I was thinking about removing the sealed relay, but I did not see any generic number to find a replacement. The control board is expensive, but still is far less than a new dryer.
    Again Thanks for your assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Yes that relay on the control board could be sticking and causing the heat to stay on and overheat. The manufacture does not sell any individual components on control boards, so the whole control board must be replaced if it has a failure.

This is the control board for your model dryer:

Control Board - W10111617

If you can, let me know if it takes care of your problem after you replace the control board.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com