Thread: [FIXED] Replaced all three gas coils and now no gas

[FIXED] Replaced all three gas coils and now no gas

Model Number: LDG410
    Brand: Maytag

So before the replacement of new coil parts I had a flame for a short while (~30 seconds). I ordered the coils from PartsDr and installed them according to the directions. Now I start up the dryer and everything operates the way it is supposed to but the gas never flows.

How would I test the coils? I guess I could hook up an external power source to the coil leads and control them with a switch to see if I can get the gas to flow. I am not sure of the proper operation between the coil, booster, and holding coils. Any help is appreciated.

Have you checked to make sure the wiring connections are correct and that the coils are stacked properly? If you have an ohm meter you can unplug the dryer and remove the coils and ohm them out to make sure they all have a resistance. I am not sure that applying power manually to the coils would be a safe way to test them. You can do that at your own risk. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Problem somewhat resolved

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Have you checked to make sure the wiring connections are correct and that the coils are stacked properly? If you have an ohm meter you can unplug the dryer and remove the coils and ohm them out to make sure they all have a resistance. I am not sure that applying power manually to the coils would be a safe way to test them. You can do that at your own risk. Let me know what you find.
    Thank you.

Yes, the wiring connection turned out to be wrong. My first assumption in putting like colors together and those that did not match "must be paired because the other wire matches color with its pair" was an incorrect first thought. One of the replacement coil wires did not match the original coil it was replacing. The only color the same in the two pair of wires was black. Hooking together these two wires was the incorrect assumption.

After correcting that backward wired coil, it now gives a flame but does not hold it as long as it did before I replaced the coils (???). I am thinking perhaps I never had a coil problem.

To top it all off, in my testing with a small load of wet clothes, the dryer abruptly stopped and the motor just hums when I try to run the machine now.

It is a new day and I must go and check this new problem out. Perhaps I will inquire about the motor in another thread.

About how long does the flame stay on with the wet clothes in the dryer? It sounds like you may also have a bad motor if it is humming when you try to start it.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

I am embarrassed to say that the motor locked up because I was running the dryer without the door on the front. I never saw a hand cloth and glove fall down the exhaust chute (where the lent trap would be). Motor seems to be fine now that the blower wheel is free again.

The flame only stays on for around 10 seconds.

What about the CYCLING THERMOSTAT-150 DEG. and the -140 DEG. thermostats? The lower temp one gives 1 to 10 ohms at room temp. It kind of works its way down on my digital multimeter. The high temp one does read less than an ohm at room temp. The other contact (lead) is open on both thermostats.

Is the timer module (where many of the wires making up the circuit connect) sensitive to bad thermostat or does it "see" it as only open or closed?

You will have to put the dryer all of the way back together to test it. Without the door on the dryer, the flame will not be getting the air flow from the blower and it is probably cycling on the high limit thermostat because of lack of air flow. Let me know how it works after you test it with the dryer put back together.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

It is back together and working Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by friarJohn View Post
    It is back together and working Thanks.
    Great! I updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com