Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GE Profile French Door Water Dispenser Making loud noise after changing filter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GE Profile French Door Water Dispenser Making loud noise after changing filter

Model Number: PFSS6PKXASS
    Brand: GE

Recently changed the filter on the GE profile. Used a GE filter. Filled it up and dispensed water as directions said. Now when we go to get water, water will come out to fill about half a glass with no problem then we get a horrible noise and vibration then water stops coming out. You can wait a minute or so and get water again, water will come out fine then start the noise and vibration again. I opened a brand new filter again and same problems. The problem is very intermittent. I have checked the water line etc.. and no problems there.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,
    JW

After replacing the filter did you run 5 or 6 glasses of water through the dispenser to get the air out of the lines. Did it work properly before you replaced the filter?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Ryan,
    Yes. I have changed the filter on this fridge many times. Every 6mos. I actually bought the filters from your site when I bought a part to fix my ice maker. Everything was working just fine until this last filter change

The problem is the noise and the vibration. After you press the dispenser with a glass, water comes out just fine with good flow and then after about half a glass, the fridge starts vibrating and making an awful noise and the water completely stops flowing. We noticed last night that the fridge started vibrating and making the noise on its own even when we didn't push the dispenser. Ice maker works fine. I have since just shut the water off until I get some idea of what it may be.

Any thoughts on the vibration and noise? Thanks.

If you have the water filter bypass that came with the refrigerator, you could try installing the filter bypass to make sure the water filter isn't the cause of your problems. Did shutting off the water make the noise stop?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Yes. I installed the bypass. The fridge still made noise when the dispenser was pressed as well as just doing it on its own. Shutting off the water seems to have made the occasional vibrating/noise stop. Very perplexed at what it could be.

On the back of the refrigerator where the water line connects is a part called the water inlet valve. I would turn the water supply back on to the refrigerator and have one person get water from the front and have another person listen to see if the noise is coming from the water inlet valve or a different part.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

The noise does not sound like it is coming from down low. It sounds more like it is coming from where the water line enters the filter towards the top left of the back of the refrigerator. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Sorry for the delay between my responses. I let the problem slip away, but desperately need it fixed. Thank you.

Three different things come to mind that could cause a noise like that. 1. The water supply to the refrigerator. I have seen a plumbing problem create a vibration in the water supply line. 2. The water inlet valve on the refrigerator. Although if this were the cause of the problem, I would not expect it to affect both the ice and water. 3. The filter housing that the water filter attaches to could have an internal failure. Let me know what you end up finding.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Hello JW,

I have a GE refrigerator and experiencing the same issue. From what Mr. Doc Ryan said, I did the first two already then came online to search and found this discussion. Thought to jump in the boat...

1. I tried to reduce the pressure in the fridge line. Flushed the line. Didn't help.
    2. I bought a brand new water valve and then replaced it because I thought the valve might be fluttering inside (trying to close premature) and flips back on due to the switch I am pressing in front with the glass. Anyways .. it didn't help either.
    3. I removed the tiny blue filter at the bottom (just under the freezer door). I knew it would be just good as I use the water filter like you do and replace it every 6 months prompt. As thought, the tiny filter at the bottom is clean.

The only stuff that is left is to check the water filter holder (filter assembly) inside the fridge side (right side) top. It shows some rust flow in the gap between the holder and the fridge inside liner. Have a feeling like cheap failing parts inside. One other thing I noticed is when I remove the filter and twist lock back in, it is easy to twist it back to remove it first time. After dispensing a glass of water and getting the triggering noise, then removing the filter becomes a little tough. Feels like an air pressure. I have to pull down the filer hard to get it off of the holder !!!

I will remove it and clean it next week end and update here if I succeed. If cleaning doesn't help, probably I will end up spending another $50 to get it. Meanwhile, if you could fix your issue, I would appreciate your help in posting your solution.

Thanks,
    Yuva
    Last edited by rajmmanohar; 09-15-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Thank you for posting your information on the same problem. Keep us posted as to what you find as the solution to the problem.

This is the water filter housing for the original posters refrigerator model number:

Water Filter Housing - Part # PD00001303 (mfg # WR17X12469)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Thank Doc Ryan for the part number.

The housing is indeed the issue but the model you mentioned above looks completely different from the one I have. Anyways ...

JW,

Here is the problem-
    The little valve inside the housing went bad. This valve is a pressure maintained valve. When it goes bad, it can't take the entire water pressure from the plumbed line. I removed the whole housing with the attached two tubes (out of the refrigerator) and hooked it to the water line. I used a flat head screw driver to push the valve in the housing gently. It started the hammering / triggering noise. At this point no filter is mounted. Just plain housing onto the water line. Because it's not on the refrigerator, it's solenoid switch or the water valve is not in use.

Here is the solution-
    1. Either replace the housing assembly
    -or-
    2. Reduce the water pressure in the wall water line. In my house there is no valve behind the refrigerator. I installed one and opened just 3/4th of the valve. It didn't make any noise. When I opened completely it makes noise after dispensing a cup.

At this point I decided to go with option 2 for a while and sanitized the housing, reversed the orings (the orings looked a little worn on the side where the filter goes) and reinstalled everything back to how it was and turned on the valve 3/4th. Now the water dispenser works as it used to be.

Hope this helps.

Yuva

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Thank you for posting your information on the same problem. Keep us posted as to what you find as the solution to the problem.

This is the water filter housing for the original posters refrigerator model number:

Water Filter Housing - Part # PD00001303 (mfg # WR17X12469)
    Quote Originally Posted by rajmmanohar View Post

The housing is indeed the issue but the model you mentioned above looks completely different from the one I have. Anyways ...

JW,

Here is the problem-
    The little valve inside the housing went bad. This valve is a pressure maintained valve. When it goes bad, it can't take the entire water pressure from the plumbed line. I removed the whole housing with the attached two tubes (out of the refrigerator) and hooked it to the water line. I used a flat head screw driver to push the valve in the housing gently. It started the hammering / triggering noise. At this point no filter is mounted. Just plain housing onto the water line. Because it's not on the refrigerator, it's solenoid switch or the water valve is not in use.

Here is the solution-
    -or-
    2. Reduce the water pressure in the wall water line. In my house there is no valve behind the refrigerator. I installed one and opened just 3/4th of the valve. It didn't make any noise. When I opened completely it makes noise after dispensing a cup.

At this point I decided to go with option 2 for a while and sanitized the housing, reversed the orings (the orings looked a little worn on the side where the filter goes) and reinstalled everything back to how it was and turned on the valve 3/4th. Now the water dispenser works as it used to be.

Hope this helps.

Yuva

I've had this problem with the water dispenser for 1 year. Troubleshooting different parts, tested the water supply valve, multimeter electrical test on the computer motherboard etc.
    "rajmmanohar" thanks for the details you wrote in the post above. It fit the description of my problem exactly! I replaced the water filter housing part# above. Restored to full operation! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by rajmmanohar View Post

JW,

Here is the problem-

Here is the solution-
    -or-

Hope this helps.

Yuva
    I registered for this forum just to say thank you. After much googling, this was the first place that seemed to describe my problem exactly and offer a plausible solution. Before ordering parts, I got behind the fridge and hooked the water line directly to the inlet, bypassing the filter loop completely. Immediately the water worked correctly. I just ordered the replacement! Thanks!

Fridge Model No: GSH25JSXL SS (GSH25JSXLSS)
    Replacement Part: WR17X20862

Similar problem - Thanks for posting solutions

I registered for this forum also to say thank you for this thread. My Kitchen Aid french door refrigerator filter began making noise intermittently when dispensing water. The water flow was also very diminished. We lived with this for several months while the noise became more and more frequent. Sometimes we heard it on its own, I assume while filling up the ice maker. Its hard to describe the noise except for that it was loud an irritating. Just wanted to report that replacing the filter housing/storage tank (different part than what is shown above for my fridge) worked great. I also didn't realize how much the water flow had diminished over time. Replacement wasn't difficult but took some time due to having to pull everything from the fridge and clean all the gunk that I don't normally see.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeeca View Post
    I registered for this forum also to say thank you for this thread. My Kitchen Aid french door refrigerator filter began making noise intermittently when dispensing water. The water flow was also very diminished. We lived with this for several months while the noise became more and more frequent. Sometimes we heard it on its own, I assume while filling up the ice maker. Its hard to describe the noise except for that it was loud an irritating. Just wanted to report that replacing the filter housing/storage tank (different part than what is shown above for my fridge) worked great. I also didn't realize how much the water flow had diminished over time. Replacement wasn't difficult but took some time due to having to pull everything from the fridge and clean all the gunk that I don't normally see.
    Thank you for letting us know! Glad we could help!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Yuva,

Thank you for updating us on the cause of the problem.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Hello,
    I am having the same problem with my GE Profile Refrigerator making the loud stuttering sound when trying to dispense water. It is identical to what was described by original poster. It was working fine until I went to change the filter. I filled several gallons to discard, just like normal, everything was fine. Sometime later same evening, the problem began. I thought maybe it was a bad filter so I used another one. It worked for several days so I threw out the bad one and wrote it off to being a lemon. Then all of a sudden it happened again. That's when I googled and found this site. My GE Profile is model PSCS3RGXGFSS. I will assume my problem is the filter assembly, just like rajmmanohar above determined. Can anyone tell me the correct filter assembly part I should buy for my GE model? Also, is this something that a layperson such as myself can easily install? I am somewhat handy but not a professional. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseAustin View Post
    Hello,
    I am having the same problem with my GE Profile Refrigerator making the loud stuttering sound when trying to dispense water. It is identical to what was described by original poster. It was working fine until I went to change the filter. I filled several gallons to discard, just like normal, everything was fine. Sometime later same evening, the problem began. I thought maybe it was a bad filter so I used another one. It worked for several days so I threw out the bad one and wrote it off to being a lemon. Then all of a sudden it happened again. That's when I googled and found this site. My GE Profile is model PSCS3RGXGFSS. I will assume my problem is the filter assembly, just like rajmmanohar above determined. Can anyone tell me the correct filter assembly part I should buy for my GE model? Also, is this something that a layperson such as myself can easily install? I am somewhat handy but not a professional. Thanks!
    Hi Denise!

This is the filter housing for your model refrigerator.

Filter Housing & Tube Assembly - Part # PD00008582 (mfg # WR17X12203)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Thank you! Is it fairly easy to install? I watched a youtube video and it looked fairly straightforward. I am a bit nervous about pulling out the refrigerator from its cabinet enclosure and accidentally yanking some sort of cord out and creating a worse problem than I started with. Also, do you know what size tools I would need? Thanks!

Thanks for all the helpful posts guys. had the same issue with my water dispenser being nosiy. Got it all quitened down now!