Thread: Maytag PAV2300 Stopped Mid Cycle Burn Smell No Power

Maytag PAV2300 Stopped Mid Cycle Burn Smell No Power

Model Number: PAV2300
    Brand: Maytag

Hello,

My Maytag PAV2300 top load washer stopped in in the final rinse/spin cycle. There was a burnt rubber smell, the barrell was full of water (and towels), and the washer did not respond to anything as if there was no power. I unplugged it for about 20 minutes and then plugged it back in and tried again and it worked. I put it on the final spin cycle and it spun and removed the water just like normal. No apparent problems.

What happened? And what do I need to do now? Repair something? (I'm a DIY'er, please be specific.)

Thanks,
    Craig

Craig,

From the symptoms of your problem, it sounds like the motor might have overheated. When the motor overheats it will give off a burning smell and it will stop working until it cools down. Check to see if there is anything stuck in the holes of the tub (like a small screw, nail, ect) and make sure nothing is touching anything underneath the washer. You could have a bad timer or motor, both can cause similar issues.

Check your model number from the tag on the washer, you are missing a few digits at the end of it.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

The complete model # is: PAV2300AWW

There's nothing in the holes, and nothing underneath...

Unplug the washer, and tilt the washer back (watch the hoses on the back, shut off the water & remove them if necessary) so you can remove the belt. With the belt removed, rotate all of the pulleys on the washer by hand. They should all turn freely by hand. The large pulley in the middle is for the transmission, rotate that one clockwise and counter clockwise (moving it one way agitates, and moving it the other way spins the tub). If everything turns freely there, then you will have to get the washer to act up again before you can diagnose it much further.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Hi, jumping on the on the one year anniversary to report I have experienced the exact same scenario as craigan this evening. I walked out to my garage ready to move my clothes to the dryer and the first thing I noticed was a burnt rubber smell. My wash tub was also full of water and the dial was stuck on the rinse cycle. The machine did not respond to any commands. Plugging / unplugging didn't work, and I tested the outlet for power successfully. I drained the tub and the removed the clothes (pants, not towels this time). After all that I go online and found this thread. I went back out to the machine, plugged it back it, and it started working again. However, it's making a god awful racket in the spin cycle. I took a quick video to illustrate.

http://youtu.be/WzxXHZbo2yQ

It sounds like it's on it's way out, but is there anything I can do help ease the pain in the mean time?

Have you removed the belt and tried turning the pulleys by hand underneath like I described in the above post?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

you have a bad pump 100% sure check it out real close. I make a lot of money on this unites with pumps going out on the old ones never replaced a pump