Thread: [FIXED] Samsung dryer won't heat; heating element ohms okay

[FIXED] Samsung dryer won't heat; heating element ohms okay

Model Number: DV431AEP/XAA
    Brand: Samsung

1 1/2 yr old Samsung dryer won't heat. Checked heating element; shows 9 Ohms, don't see any breaks. The half of the heating element's metal plate farthest from the plugs is darkened; is that normal, or could it indicate a short?

If the heating element is fine, what should I check next?

It is normal for the metal to be darker by the back of the element. What is not normal is if the metal is cracked or warped in that blackened area. Have you checked the thermostats and fuses for continuity?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    It is normal for the metal to be darker by the back of the element. What is not normal is if the metal is cracked or warped in that blackened area. Have you checked the thermostats and fuses for continuity?
    The metal is not cracked or warped. Since the Ohm reading was 9, I can assume the element is fine and put it back in?

Should I check all the thermostats and fuses? Do I use a multimeter for that? I assume I'll need to remove them like I did the element.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt J View Post
    The metal is not cracked or warped. Since the Ohm reading was 9, I can assume the element is fine and put it back in?

Should I check all the thermostats and fuses? Do I use a multimeter for that? I assume I'll need to remove them like I did the element.
    I found that the high limit thermostat (DC47-00015A) does not have continuity. The other thermostat next to it does have continuity. So I will send for and replace the high limit; is there anything else I should check?

Yes the element should be good if it is reading 9 ohms. To check the thermostats and fuses, unplug the dryer and remove the wires to the thermostat/fuse and then check them for continuity. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Yes the element should be good if it is reading 9 ohms. To check the thermostats and fuses, unplug the dryer and remove the wires to the thermostat/fuse and then check them for continuity. Let me know what you find.
    I found the high limit did not have continuity. I replaced it, and now the dryer works fine. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt J View Post
    I found the high limit did not have continuity. I replaced it, and now the dryer works fine. Thanks!
    Great, I am glad you got it figured out. Make sure that your venting isn't clogged and the heating element isn't shorted. When the high limit thermostat/fuse blows it is because the dryer overheated. Make sure to find the cause of why the dryer overheated, or you might burn out the new part. I updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com