Thread: Ice Maker Stopped working

Patient

Ice Maker Stopped working

Model Number: PFSS6PKW
    Brand: GE

Hi,
    The ice maker stopped working on our PFSS6PKW refrigerator. We noticed the water pressure was almost none existent. We have a RO system that has been hooked up it for the past year, but I have never removed the filter in refrigerator. When I removed it (finally) and put the cap on, the water pressure is great now.

However, the ice maker is not functioning. I took it out and warmed it up / put it back in, yet nothing. Even the reset button on the side does not do anything after pressing and holding. Before I purchase a new ice maker or board, is there anything that the previous low water pressure may have caused? How do I check the water line to the icemaker to see that it is definitely not clogged? or.....Even if it were clogged, would not the reset button at least turn the tray empty if it was working? My thought is if it does not turn or make any noise, then it should be the maker, correct?

Thanks,
    Brahio

Your model number is missing a few digits at the end of it. Make sure to get the full model number from the model & serial number tag on the inside of the refrigerator. Low water pressure is common to cause ice maker failures and water valve failures. To check to see if the water line to the ice maker is frozen/clogged you will have to unplug the refrigerator and remove the line from the water valve that goes to the ice maker. Blow through this line, if you can blow through it, then it is good. If you can't then you might have a frozen line because of a leaking water valve. Since your ice maker is not doing anything, I would start by replacing that first. Make sure to fix the water pressure problem before replacing the ice maker.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Patient

Thankyou for the reply. My only question is when you mention "remove the line from the water valve that goes to the ice maker. Blow through this line".....where is the line that goes to the ice maker? Do I need to take off the entire back of the refrig and obviously need to shut off the water? Just trying to understand where I am removing the line for the blow test...I do not see anything inside the icemaker cubby area. Thanks in advance!!!

It is on the back side of the refrigerator. It is a good idea to unplug the refrigerator and shut off the water supply while you are doing this. If you follow the water supply line to the refrigerator, it should guide you to the water inlet valve.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter