Thread: refrig. with top freezer

refrig. with top freezer

Model Number: gts22wcpcrcc
    Brand: GE

My refrigerator only gets down to 40 and freezer gets too cold. I replaced thermostat in freezer but no change. I have new thermistor to install, but not able to locate the old one in freezer. There is a white cylinder part thats similar but it has wire out both ends. Can this be it ?
    Last edited by Jim Lennon; 08-30-2013 at 03:21 PM.

What part number is the thermostat that you replaced? What is the part number of the thermistor that you are trying to install?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    What part number is the thermostat that you replaced? What is the part number of the thermistor that you are trying to install?
    The thermostat #WR50X60 and the thermistor is #WR55X10025.

I don't see that your refrigerator uses a thermistor. Do you have both of the temperature controls for the refrigerator and freezer set at the factory settings?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

I set fridge @ 9 and freezer @ 1 because it keeps fridge a little cooler than when set at 5 & 5.

Set them both back in the middle, it will not work very well when to the max settings like that. Is the fan in the freezer running?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Yes the freezer fan is running. I also went back to the factory temp. settings.

If the temperature is still not correct with it set to the factory settings, then you could have a bad temperature control thermostat or the freezer may not be going through the automatic defrost cycle. Did you notice alot of frost build up in the freezer when you had that panel off to replace the defrost thermostat?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

There was a little frost build up, I wouldn't say alot. I did replace the defrost timer, but still no change. Do you think I should try the temp. control thermostat?

A light layer of frost is normal, but a thick layer of frost is not. If it doesn't go through the automatic defrost cycle, the airflow gets blocked by the frost and the refrigerator starts to warm up. What kind of temperature reading are you getting in the freezer? Can I have you check to see if the fan behind the freezer is running when the compressor is running?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

The freezer temp. runs between 5 & 10 below zero, and the compressor is running when the freezer fan is running.

Check the refrigerator door light switch and make sure the light switch is working properly. The light staying on can throw off the temperatures. Does the refrigerator run all of the time, or does it cool down enough where it stops running? With the temperature control set at the factory settings the refrigerator should be around 37-38F and the freezer should be around 0F.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com