Thread: whirlpool dryer running hot

whirlpool dryer running hot

Model Number: WED9200SQO
    Brand: Whirlpool

Yesterday the dryer ran extremely hot after a load was finished. Today the dryer would not start, only the sensor light would come on so I replaced both the thermal fuse and thermistor. Parts 3392519 and 8577274 respectively. It was back to running and I checked the dryer after a load was set on (normal) automatic cycle. Again the load was extremely hot and it hadn't even finished yet ( I went to see how it was doing and decided to open the door to check progress). Later I decided to run a load on air only to see what would happen. Again I discovered that the dryer was running hot even though it was set on air only. What would you suggest? I have not checked the heating element or anything else yet.
    Last edited by skupr; 09-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.

I checked the heating element and high limit thermostat for continuity and all seem fine. Also no debris or lint build up in exhaust. Any ideas?

There are only three things that would make the dryer heat on the air dry cycle. A shorted heating element, which causes the heating element to stay on all of the time. Heating elements warp and become shorted out from poor venting. There could be a short in the wring somewhere (not very common). The only other thing that could cause the heating element to stay on would be the control board. The control board sends power to the heating element, and if it failed, it could constantly send power to the element. If your old heating element had shorted out, it could have burned out the control board.

The First thing to check for is to see if the heating element is shorted out. To do this you would need to have the dryer unplugged and with a multi-meter you would need to check for continuity from either side of the heating element to ground (disconnect the wires going to the heating element before making this check. The heating element must be installed in the dryer to make this check.). If you have continuity when you go to ground then the element is shorted out and will need to be replaced. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Doc, I pulled the heating element out of the dryer and did a visual, it looked in great shape. I reinstalled the element and did a continuity test. I have no continuity from either side of the heating element to ground. I have also looked at the wiring and all seems to be fine, no apparent shorting in wires. The venting is rigid pipe, short run, One 90 degree from the back and one 22 1/2 degree all in 5' then straight outside. Clean all the way - no issues there. Control board??

It sounds to me like it is probably the control board that is constantly sending power to the element.

This is the main control board for your model dryer:

Electronic Control Board - W10110641
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter