Thread: Ice/ water freezing under deli drawer, GE profile, bottom freezer

Thumbs up Ice/ water freezing under deli drawer, GE profile, bottom freezer

Model Number: PFSS6PKXCSS
    Brand: Brand

We have been getting water under the deli drawer that freezes for approx 1year. We continually remove it but would like to fix the problem finally! Everything else works great. Thank you in advance or your help!

I had the same problem and was able to fix it. There is a water container behind the drawer on the left rear wall (you have to take off the inside cover). Mine was leaking where the tube connects to the container. This container is used as a cooling tank for your water dispenser on the door. I was able to get the water level down far enough where i could take a couple of drops of CA (super glue) glue and drop it on the area where the two connect. That was it...no more leak.

As vbquick1 found on their refrigerator, it could be coming from the water reservoir tank, or it could also come from the defrost drain for the evaporator coil behind the back panel in the refrigerator. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I have the same problem with the ice forming under the deli tray. The water on mine is coming from the defrost drain that keeps freezing up. I think all this excess moisture in the refrigerator is what eventually causes the icing up of the coil. Once a year, the ice gets so bad that the fan blades start hitting it and then I have to defrost the fridge to get the back panel thawed out enough so that I can remove the ice buildup and clear the drain. Why do you think this drain is freezing up and how can I repair it? Thanks

First thing to do is to thaw out the drain and make sure that there are not any clogs or restrictions in the drain tube.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thanks for your response. I used hot water to thaw out the drain tube and then flushed it several times with more hot water to make sure there wasn't any more ice left. The drain flows as quickly as I can pour water into it. What could be causing the drain to freeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Murman View Post
    Thanks for your response. I used hot water to thaw out the drain tube and then flushed it several times with more hot water to make sure there wasn't any more ice left. The drain flows as quickly as I can pour water into it. What could be causing the drain to freeze?
    You will just have to wait to see if the drain freezes back up. We have seen on some of these refrigerators where there is no fix to the problem.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Angry Frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    You will just have to wait to see if the drain freezes back up. We have seen on some of these refrigerators where there is no fix to the problem.
    Hey Doc, I'm back. I, once again, had to defrost the fridge due to the drain freezing up back in November. I am now having to do the same thing again. The drain was frozen and the ice had built up so badly that the fan was hitting it.
    Shouldn't there be a heater for the drain to keep this from happening? If there is, where is it located and is it replaceable? Thanks

What is the model number of your refrigerator?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

It's the same as the one in the original post, PFSS6PKXCSS.

Was the whole coil full of ice and frost? If so, it sounds like it is not going through the automatic defrost cycle. When it is working properly there is a heater that should turn on around twice a day to heat up and melt the frost/ice on the evaporator coil. If this is not happening then this would be the cause of the frost and ice build up and it could also be the cause of the drain freezing up. There is a small metal piece that attaches onto the defrost heater that goes into the defrost drain that normally keep the defrost drain from icing up.

There are four components that work together to control the automatic defrost cycle, the defrost heater, defrost thermostat, defrost sensor, and the main control board. Before working on the refrigerator or testing parts make sure it is unplugged. This video shows how to test the defrost thermostat. The defrost heater can be tested for continuity with the wires disconnected. To accurately test the thermistor, place the thermistor in a glass of ice water (approximately 33°F (0.5°C)) for several minutes and check for approximately 12.7K Ohms. There is not a test process for the main control board, it can only be determine bad by a process of elimination. Let us know what you find.

These are the parts for your model refrigerator:

Temperature Sensor - Part # PD00001570 (mfg # WR23X10582)

Defrost Thermostat - Part # PD00008300 (mfg # WR02X12592)

Main Control Board - Part # PD00001423 (mfg # WR55X10998)

Defrost Heater - Part # PD00009145 (mfg # WR02X12603)

Ryan

PartsDr.com

Hey Doc, thanks for your detailed reply. I was out of town at the time and then forgot to reply when I got home.
    I'll check all that stuff next time it freezes up and I have to take it apart again. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Murman View Post
    Hey Doc, thanks for your detailed reply. I was out of town at the time and then forgot to reply when I got home.
    I'll check all that stuff next time it freezes up and I have to take it apart again. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks again.
    Sounds good!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I am having the same issue. A layer of ice forms under the deli drawer on a GE Model PFSS6PKXDSS. The frig came with the house, this is our second year using it and it did not freeze up the first year. Lately I have been clearing the layer of ice out monthly. I have read the procedures for clearing the drain hose. I was wondering if there is an actual fix, or is it just a matter of clearning the drain line and hoping for the best. I have no problem replacing parts, heater, etc, if that will help. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How often do you need to remove the ice? I have the same problem that just started happening after 10 years of use, so I consider myself lucky, but the fix is more complex than I want to deal with. If I need to clear the ice (which takes 10 minutes with a screw driver after removing the drawer) I wouldn't mind doing it every few months. I just hope it won't be once a week! Thanks in advance.

After defrosting the whole thing several times, I became convinced that the reason the drain line from the refrigerator defrost pan (under the coils and behind the plastic cover at the back of the fridge) gets "clogged" or, more accurately, frozen, is because the drain line runs INSIDE the insulation at the back of the fridge and very close to the freezer. So, it freezes! My solution was to carefully cut open the metal on the back of the unit, cut the drain line, and install a new drain line that runs on the OUTSIDE of the insulation and drains into the drain pan at the bottom of the fridge. I cut out enough of the insulation so the bottom of the drain pan is exposed to warm air. Since I did this, I have not had any problems. My fridge is at the end of my cabinets, so I can look behind the fridge without moving it and I actually put a plastic bottle behind the fridge and I can put the new drain line into it and I get maybe a pint of water in the bottle every month or so, so I know that the thing is draining correctly. This sounds complicated but it was really very easy and it beat having to replace the whole fridge just because of bad design. You can cut the metal back with a utility knife and the insulation is soft, dig it out with a spoon (really). This may not be a fix for every fridge with this problem but it's worth a shot before you replace etc whole unit.

could this be causing fridge leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffc View Post
    After defrosting the whole thing several times, I became convinced that the reason the drain line from the refrigerator defrost pan (under the coils and behind the plastic cover at the back of the fridge) gets "clogged" or, more accurately, frozen, is because the drain line runs INSIDE the insulation at the back of the fridge and very close to the freezer. So, it freezes! My solution was to carefully cut open the metal on the back of the unit, cut the drain line, and install a new drain line that runs on the OUTSIDE of the insulation and drains into the drain pan at the bottom of the fridge. I cut out enough of the insulation so the bottom of the drain pan is exposed to warm air. Since I did this, I have not had any problems. My fridge is at the end of my cabinets, so I can look behind the fridge without moving it and I actually put a plastic bottle behind the fridge and I can put the new drain line into it and I get maybe a pint of water in the bottle every month or so, so I know that the thing is draining correctly. This sounds complicated but it was really very easy and it beat having to replace the whole fridge just because of bad design. You can cut the metal back with a utility knife and the insulation is soft, dig it out with a spoon (really). This may not be a fix for every fridge with this problem but it's worth a shot before you replace etc whole unit.
    anyone know if this could be what is causing an occasional, fairly minor leak?Once or twice a week for about a month or so now we have found water in the grout on our kitchen floor, near the fridge. Determined it is not the dishwasher. Did find the ice accumulation under the deli drawer, and thinking it could be leaking when fridge goes through it's defrost cycle (for the coils I guess?). The fixes I've seen mentioned in this forum seem pretty time consuming, hoping someone can confirm this could be the cause before we take these steps. Any chance just clearing out the accumulated ice (under the drawer) regularly would avoid the leak? We've turned off the water line to the fridge for now since we thought maybe it was a water line that was leaking (plumber thought this unlikely though, we asked when he was here to fix something else). Will probably have to wait another week to see if leak happens even with water line turned off. I miss my filtered water!

I'm dealing with the same issue on a GE GNE26GMDGES.
    After disassembly, I've found the defrost heater conduction tube was wrapped around the actual evaporator instead of the defrost heater. I'm assuming this was allowing our drain tube to freeze up?
    The diagram is unclear, but I'm assuming the metal defrost finger that drops into the drain tube should be wrapped around the defrost tube instead?

739 was wrapped around 738 instead of 761.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20230530_180135_Chrome.jpg