Thread: samsung silvercare washer - very odd item found in drain pump. is it from the washer?

samsung silvercare washer - very odd item found in drain pump. is it from the washer?

Model Number: WF337AAG
    Brand: Samsung

My Samsung washer stopped working. Turned on ok but wouldn't run. Was able to troubleshoot it and realized it wasn't draining and the drain pump wasn't running. Removed the drain pump and found what look like pieces of slate in the hose from the tub to the pump. One of the pieces made it into the pump and appears to have damaged the blades so I'm going to replace the pump.

I did put everything back together just to see if it would work and it does, so that was definitely my problem. I'm trying to figure out what it is that I found. No one that uses the washer owns up to knowing what it is and I have no reason to doubt them. In fact the pieces seem too big to have gotten from where the clothes are and into the drain. I'm wondering if they have anything to do with the silvercare part of the washer. I just don't see how these could have come out of someone's pocket (for example) and made their way through the machine.

I know the pictures aren't great but does anyone know if these are possibly part of the silvercare system. I don't know what else they could be. One shows all the pieces laying flat and one shows one of the pieces on its side. I did that so you can see the thickness of the piece. For size reference, the biggest piece is about an inch and a half square.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3280.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6614.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	207
    Last edited by Ratdad; 09-15-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Ok, having done more research on this, I've figured out that these are pieces of the flange shaft assembly Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01518022.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	208. Further research reveals that other people have had this issue and it is even part of a class action lawsuit against Samsung. This flange is made of pot metal and if you Google "Samsung lawsuit pot metal" you can read about it. We have a water softener in our house and use HE liquid detergent in the recommended small amount. For this part to fail in less than 5 years on what Samsung touts as a high quality washer seems unacceptable in my opinion. I know parts fail but this failure is due to a decision on Samsung's part to use a cheap part where a quality one is called for.

The part is less than $100. I'm waiting on an estimate on the cost to fix. Probably not worth the cost. If I have to buy a new washer I can't get the same one or even the same color (silver) as Samsung has updated their colors. So I either have to have mismatched washer and dryer (not the end of the world) or buy a whole new set. I don't think I can even use the pedestal from this washer on a new Samsung. If I have to get a new washer there is no way it'll be a Samsung. I just can't take that risk.

I can't find any info on how to replace this part myself. Probably because it involves literally disassembling the entire machine. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

thanks

Thanks for posting the information on what you found. This type of repair would involve completely disassembling the machine to access the inner tub of the washer. If you are paying to have the repair done, it may cost more that the washer is worth to fix.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Thanks for posting the information on what you found. This type of repair would involve completely disassembling the machine to access the inner tub of the washer. If you are paying to have the repair done, it may cost more that the washer is worth to fix.

Ok, more updates in case this thread helps anyone else in my situation. This repair would be beyond the scope of what I'm comfortable doing on my own. I contacted Samsung's authorized repair service in my area and got an estimate from them. The tech said that most likely the drum and lower tub would need to be replaced in addition to the flange shaft assembly because of additional damage that may have occurred when the part broke.

The estimate was about $200 less than buying a new machine, so obviously not worth it.

Now the good news. I called Samsung and pleaded my case to them and they are going to cover the parts and I will pay the labor. This makes the repair cost to me about $200. I think that is very fair and have to say that I'm very pleased with the customer service I got from Samsung. Now, the part really shouldn't fail so soon and I would say that if Samsung is still making this part the same way they really need to review their decision on that. However, in my case, the part has failed so I didn't have many options and all things considered I can live with the way this has turned out.

That sounds like a very fair deal. Most manufactures won't work with you outside of the warranty.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thank you SO much for posting this. Our Samsung washer would not drain. We took it apart and found all kinds of pieces of something in the pump, and the hoses. Looked like pieces of slate. We thought, "What the heck is this?". We put things back together and the machine drains well now but makes a lot of noise during spin, and we can hear something grinding against the drum... for sure more pieces of that stuff. We had no idea what it could be and began to search online, and found this! Thanks very much. Our machine is 6 years old so not sure how we're going to proceed but at least, thanks to your post, we know what it is.

Exclamation Same issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdad View Post

Ok, more updates in case this thread helps anyone else in my situation. This repair would be beyond the scope of what I'm comfortable doing on my own. I contacted Samsung's authorized repair service in my area and got an estimate from them. The tech said that most likely the drum and lower tub would need to be replaced in addition to the flange shaft assembly because of additional damage that may have occurred when the part broke.

The estimate was about $200 less than buying a new machine, so obviously not worth it.

Now the good news. I called Samsung and pleaded my case to them and they are going to cover the parts and I will pay the labor. This makes the repair cost to me about $200. I think that is very fair and have to say that I'm very pleased with the customer service I got from Samsung. Now, the part really shouldn't fail so soon and I would say that if Samsung is still making this part the same way they really need to review their decision on that. However, in my case, the part has failed so I didn't have many options and all things considered I can live with the way this has turned out.
    I am also having the same issue 2 month ago received nd error followed YouTube instructions and clear the drain found slate pebbles and dirt sludge in the pump data on put back together still didn't work took the pump itself apart and found pieces of metal wrapped around the pump motor... once dosenloudge it worked again however loud noises and lots of vibration fast forward 2 months later recieved a e3 error message tonight after washing found loads now machine will not spin at all... i don't know what to do... unfortunately no youtube vids on this

Quote Originally Posted by Brittnee View Post
    I am also having the same issue 2 month ago received nd error followed YouTube instructions and clear the drain found slate pebbles and dirt sludge in the pump data on put back together still didn't work took the pump itself apart and found pieces of metal wrapped around the pump motor... once dosenloudge it worked again however loud noises and lots of vibration fast forward 2 months later recieved a e3 error message tonight after washing found loads now machine will not spin at all... i don't know what to do... unfortunately no youtube vids on this

Well, the part, if you buy it yourself costs around $100. To have it installed will cost you several hundred. We got a quote for repair of around $600. We're pretty handy and thought perhaps we'd install the part ourselves, but the big problem is, it's the same part, made of the same material so it's likely to fail again in a few years.
    We did a lot of research into it and decide to just scrap the machine, a big, expensive, beautiful, fancy, relatively new machine is going to the dump. It's ridiculous. We found people online who had tried to get Samsung to take some responsibility for using a part that didn't last, and they wouldn't. You're stuck. We're stuck. We're just going to cut our losses and get rid of it. Sorry there isn't a better answer for you.