Thread: Maytag MAH3000AWW Spinner Replacement Seal Problem

Maytag MAH3000AWW Spinner Replacement Seal Problem

Model Number: MAH3000AWW
    Brand: Maytag

I need help with my Maytag MAH3000AWW. Increasing noise during the spin cycle led me to believe that the bearings were shot. I ordered the parts from various suppliers. From the youtube videos I have seen, I also decided to order a new spinner assembly in the event the old inner bearing races were seized to the shaft. I ordered the new spinner from ParstDr, which comes with the new style seal. My machine had the old style spinner and seal. I installed the new bearings, spacer, new style seal, and new spinner. At the end of the spin cycle on the test run after the fix there was smoke coming from inside the machine with a smell of burnt rubber. I disassembled once again and noticed that the metal portion of the seal that is on the spinner shaft had contacted the rubber portion of the seal and wore it down. That was what caused the smoke and stink. The new style seal is quite a bit thicker than the old style. My question is if I can use a new style spinner with the new seal on an older, old style seal machine? I thought they were compatible as long as the appropriate new/old spinner and seal combo were combined. Do I need to revert back to the old spinner and seal design?

Any help is appreciated.

George

Doh!...Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    Model Number: MAH3000AWW
    Brand: Maytag

I need help with my Maytag MAH3000AWW. Increasing noise during the spin cycle led me to believe that the bearings were shot. I ordered the parts from various suppliers. From the youtube videos I have seen, I also decided to order a new spinner assembly in the event the old inner bearing races were seized to the shaft. I ordered the new spinner from ParstDr, which comes with the new style seal. My machine had the old style spinner and seal. I installed the new bearings, spacer, new style seal, and new spinner. At the end of the spin cycle on the test run after the fix there was smoke coming from inside the machine with a smell of burnt rubber. I disassembled once again and noticed that the metal portion of the seal that is on the spinner shaft had contacted the rubber portion of the seal and wore it down. That was what caused the smoke and stink. The new style seal is quite a bit thicker than the old style. My question is if I can use a new style spinner with the new seal on an older, old style seal machine? I thought they were compatible as long as the appropriate new/old spinner and seal combo were combined. Do I need to revert back to the old spinner and seal design?

Any help is appreciated.

George
    Upon further investigation I have solved the burned seal problem. I had installed the seal incorrectly, ie backwards. The way I had installed it caused the steel portion of the seal on the spinner to contact the inner rubber portion of the seal. The resulting friction during the spin cycle fried the rubber and caused the smoke and stink. I reassembled the washer temporarily to get some wash done and will install a new seal next week. It's now running smoothly with no loud noise or smoke. Whew, that was close. I didn't really want to go out and get a new washer.

For those installing new bearings and seals use caution when installing the seal. The instructions supplied by Maytag are not very clear and the seal can be installed either way. In retrospect the inner drum was slightly "tighter" when rotated after the repair. If this is the case I would recheck the seal installation. Good luck in keeping your Neptune up and running.

George

Thank you for posting up the fix to the problem you ran into. I am sure it will help others in the future.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter