Thread: Maytag French Door - Compressor Won't shut off

Maytag French Door - Compressor Won't shut off

Model Number: mff2258vem0
    Brand: Maytag

I have a Maytag mff2258vem0 which lost cooling in the refrigerator section over the weekend - slowly crept up to room temp. Freezer was still frozen.

Upon inspection the back panel was almost totally iced over with snow like frost. Defrosted the whole thing - now it appears the issue is that the compressor is running 24x7. I currently have the temperature for both fridge and freezer set to off ("-" for both). In this setting the fan will never run but the compressor just keeps chugging.

I assumed that maybe this model was smart enough to dry it self out if set to off so I left it like this last night and this morning the freezer was around 7F, Fridge was just below room temp.

Sounds to me like I have a solenoid/relay stuck on? I don't think there's an issue with the auto-defrost as I would imagine a compressor never shutting off regardless of set temp would inevitably cause a frost over. Wanted to also confirm that this model should not run when set "off".

Thanks in advance!

Quick Edit - Forgot to add: The other strange thing is the Freezer light will only come on if the thermostat is set to "off". So, if set to any temperature setting besides "-" the freezer light will not illuminate when the door is opened.
    Last edited by trackdrew; 09-30-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Additional details

So after looking into this some more - it looks like this is possible a failure of the "Jazz" board: http://www.partsdr.com/Parts/1278441...-board-196.cfm

Looks like no returns on electrical parts

That's an expensive gamble if I'm wrong...

Yes you are on the right track. This is a common failure of this control board. Replacing the control board should fix your problem. Let me know how the repair goes.

This is the control board for your model:

Control Board - 12784415
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter