Model Number: JW1000W
Brand: Jenn-Air

I have a Jenn-Air washer (model JW1000W--serial number starts with 14) that is not going through the cycles correctly anymore. The timer will advance and there is the normal timer ticking noise, but the washer will not drain/spin on its own when I use the Normal cycle. The cycle will be "done" and the tub will be full of water.

I have been doing my laundry by setting the timer to the normal cycle. When the cycle should be agitating, I tug on the timer a bit to get it to agitate. Then I manually change to the Permanent Press cycle spin setting to get it to drain. Then I set the timer to the Permanent Press rinse cycle to rinse/drain. I cannot do this with the normal cycle, because it does not rinse or spin when I select the rinse or spin settings there. The Permanent Press cycle might work because nothing can be worn out on that cycle, since I have never used it prior to this problem occurring.

I don't think it is the lid switch, because every time I lift the lid, the washer will immediately stop spinning. I have done this numerous times, always with the same result. I also hear a click when the lid switch is depressed.

I could not figure out how to remove the old timer. I removed the timer handle (the part that you push in/pull out when doing laundry). I couldn't figure out how to remove the circular piece that is on the outside of the washer behind that part, however. Is there a clip of some sort holding this piece in? I didn't want to force it off, because I was afraid of breaking it, and I need my washer to work while I am figuring this problem out.

There were a lot of wires in the back going into the timer. I am assuming you just push in on the connector tabs in order to release them. Am I correct?

Also, should there be styrofoam behind the timer? Service was done on our washer less than two months after we bought it new, and I was told the "motor guard burned out." I'm not sure if that is part of the timer or not. I just noticed the styrofoam when I was looking for the timer part number. The styrofoam is behind the circular piece (behind the handle) that I cannot figure out how to remove.

Do you think I need to replace the timer (part number 35-5027 is written on the timer), or could it be something else? I don't want to spend over $100 on a timer if the problem could be something else.