Thread: Dryer worked great with replaced element for 1 week, now won't heat-element is good.

Dryer worked great with replaced element for 1 week, now won't heat-element is good.

Model Number: GEQ9800PW2
    Brand: Whirlpool

I replaced the heating element in my dryer a couple of weeks ago. When I did, I also checked all of the switches/thermostats/etc; there were 5 or 6 parts that I checked for continuity. All showed continuity. However, I did not check these parts for functionality. My dryer worked very well for about 1 week, then quit heating (again). I removed the newly replaced heating element, and found it is not burned out - it has continuity when tested at the connectors. What faulty part would prevent the heating element from getting current to it?

There are many things that can cause the dryer not to heat. I would start by unplugging the dryer and checking the thermal fuses for continuity. There are two thermal fuses, one is a small white one near the blower fan and the other is on the side of the heating element. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Doc Ryan,
    I tested both fuses, as you suggested, and found the fuse on the side of the heating element (cover or what the element slides into) did not have continuity. I will replace this fuse. I wonder what caused this fuse to go bad shortly after I replaced my element, as I checked it and found it to have continuity when I replaced the element (about 1 1/2 weeks ago).
    By the way, many thanks for your help!!

This fuse blowing indicates that the dryer overheated. You will need to determine why it was overheating. Have you checked the dryer for lint build up in the blower housing (where the lint filter slides into) or the exhaust venting for any restrictions?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

When I replaced the element, I cleaned all of the lint, from the lint screen to where it exits the house (directly behind the dryer), from everywhere I could access with my shop vac hose. I also made sure that the exhaust venting was (is) not restricted. Is there some non-working part that would allow the dryer to overheat?

Try running the dryer on an air dry cycle and see if the dryer still heats on the air dry cycle.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com