Thread: GE Side by Side Regrigerator making "groaning" sounds - fan noise

GE Side by Side Regrigerator making "groaning" sounds - fan noise

Model Number: ESL25XGPCBS
    Brand: GE

THis is weird. Functionally, the refrigerator is working fine. No hot/cold spots, and icemaker is functioning normally.

Pretty much any time the freezer fan is on, it will run normally at speed for a while, then slow down for a few seconds (making a noticeable hum, but I think its just because the fan is running slow), then speed up. It isn't regular, but rather pretty erratic.

This has been going on for a few months now. The noise it makes is noticeable, so it is annoying.

I don't think it is a bad motor or bearing:
    •its been doing it for months, if it is a bad bearing it would get worse
    •the motor never quits
    It really sounds like the controller is making the fan speed up and slow down, so I replaced the main motherboard (thanks PartDR!), and I thought that fixed it. But it soon started doing it again.

Anyone have any other ideas - hopefully cheaper than the motherboard? :-)

Owen

Owen,

When you replaced the main motherboard (part# WR55X10942), did it seem to fix the problem temporarily, or did it start acting up again right away?

The motherboard is what controls the speed of the evaporator fan motor (freezer fan motor). It is normal for the speed of the fan to vary, that is why they let the motherboard control the speed of the fan motor. What is not normal, is if the speed of the fan constantly varies while it is running. Most people seem to describe the fan as making a whooing noise when this happens. It is possible that the evaporator fan motor (part# WR60X10074) is bad, and it is burning out the control board. Some people when having this type of problem will replace both parts at the same time to prevent any further issues.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Owen,

When you replaced the main motherboard (part# WR55X10942), did it seem to fix the problem temporarily, or did it start acting up again right away?

The motherboard is what controls the speed of the evaporator fan motor (freezer fan motor). It is normal for the speed of the fan to vary, that is why they let the motherboard control the speed of the fan motor. What is not normal, is if the speed of the fan constantly varies while it is running. Most people seem to describe the fan as making a whooing noise when this happens. It is possible that the evaporator fan motor (part# WR60X10074) is bad, and it is burning out the control board. Some people when having this type of problem will replace both parts at the same time to prevent any further issues.

It did seem to fix it the first night. I didn't hear the fan speeding up and slowing down until the next day.

The fan isn't showing any signs of distress... no scraping or squeaking at all. So I didn't think it was bad... I guess I could replace it and see what happens...

If that motherboard is that sensitive, that's not good.

Thanks
    Owen

Unfortunately control boards can be very sensitive. Check your inbox, I just sent you an email. I would probably recommend to replace both the control board and fan motor at the same time. That way if the motor is bad, it can't damage the control board.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter