Thread: Whirlpool Cabrio top bearing removal

Whirlpool Cabrio top bearing removal

Model Number: WTW6600SW
    Brand: Whirlpool

My Whirlpool Cabrio washer is getting repaired due to a leak with a new: bearing/seal kit (W10435302), &motor/stator (W10419333), due to being cracked.

The old top bearing ring is stuck inside the plastic tub.

The local tech tried using the specific whirlpool tub press assembly kit (W10447783) to remove it... without success.

Upon the local tech calling the whirlpool service tech line, they just recommended using this specific tool.

Do you have any suggestions on how to remove the old top ring, which is really stuck tight, without damaging the plastic tub (as then the new part will not seat properly etc./ potentially fail/leak)?

Thanks.

Please see the attached PDF file below. The removal rod included with the tub press tool W10447783 is designed to use to hammer out the old bearings.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the tech that came used this rod to try and hammer out the old bearing ring. It broke into pieces, and the outer most part of the circle is what's still stuck in the plastic tub.

The tech basically wrote it off, as "stuck", and suggested a whole new tub kit that has the bearings etc. in it already (more$), or just buy a whole new machine (even more$$). Not sure if you sell this tub kit on your web site, and what the part number would be? Please share if you do. Btw, we did purchase the stator/motor here.

The tech also tried to pry out this part of the remaining stuck ring with a screwdriver/putty-knief. But said that too much force couldn't be used this way or it could damage the tub plastic.

I am not sure if the pounding with the rod could have been done any differently to remove it?

It's so frustrating, as this was not a cheap washer, that's not that old, and for the price paid, I don't feel like I should have to be being a new one already *sigh*.

Thanks for any additional help.

Pic of bottom of the tub with the remaining top bearing ring stuck in the opening...

Closer pic of what the ring looks like new...

Pic of pieces of part of the bearing ring that was removed...

Last, another pic showing bearing ring pieces...

Also, I'm not sure when my last post will show up (this is my first time trying to post pics)...the screen message flashed too quickly to read the reply...but I tried to upload and post 4 pics of what the washer looks like as of now, and the parts discussed above...in case that might be helpful.

If it didn't go through, I can re-try.

Thank you.

Thank you for the pictures. It sounds like the bearing fell apart while being removed and the outer shell of the bearing is still stick in the tub. Does this sound correct? If so then you can take a file and slowly file through the bearing shell. You could try using a power tool, but you risk damaging the tub if you do this. It is probably better to just go slowly and use a triangle shaped file to go through the metal. Let me know the outcome.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

OK, thanks for the reply, that's a good idea to try, will do.