Thread: [FIXED] Refridgerator side too cold

[FIXED] Refridgerator side too cold

Model Number: PSS25NGMDCC
    Brand: GE

I have a GE Profile Arctica PSS25NGMDCC and I've been experiencing very cold temps on the refrigerator side. I even tried to take all the food out and unplug the unit however the same problem occurs. All the post I have been reading seem to direct me to the air damper/Fresh Food Air Inlet Cover Kit problem. Is there a way to verify that this is the problem before I purchase it? If it is the problem where can I find videos/instructions on how to install. Which part is OEM the WR49X10091 or PS966602?

Thx Phil from NJ

Phil,

The GE OEM part number for the air damper is WR49X10091. The most common problem that we see the cause the fresh food section to freeze is the air damper door breaking and not closing all of the way. The new air damper assembly has been improved and re-designed from the manufacturer. There is no way to test this part, but you can pull it off and do a visual inspection of the damper door, you can usually see where it is broken off. The two other parts that work with the air damper to control the temperature are the main control board (WR55X10942), and there are two temperature sensors (WR55X10025).

Here is how to replace the air damper (some steps vary by model):

Unplug refrigerator

Remove the top two shelves

Remove the top light cover, this will give you access to remove the top two screws on the damper

Some models have two screws behind the duct on the back of the refrigerator

You should be able to pull the damper out and disconnect the wiring harness going to it.

Reinstall in the reverse order

These are the parts for your model:

Air Damper & Fan Assembly - Part # PD00001003 (mfg # WR49X10091)

Main Control Board - Part # PD00000994 (mfg # WR55X10942)

Temperature Sensor (Thermistor) - Part # PD00000992 (mfg # WR55X10025)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Refridgerator side too cold

After taking off the air damper fan assembly it was clear that the damper door was broken from the electrical component that open and closes the door. I am ordering that unit and see if it works. I'm hoping the board and sensor are fine. Thanks Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Phil,

The GE OEM part number for the air damper is WR49X10091. The most common problem that we see the cause the fresh food section to freeze is the air damper door breaking and not closing all of the way. The new air damper assembly has been improved and re-designed from the manufacturer. There is no way to test this part, but you can pull it off and do a visual inspection of the damper door, you can usually see where it is broken off. The two other parts that work with the air damper to control the temperature are the main control board (WR55X10942), and there are two temperature sensors (WR55X10025).

Here is how to replace the air damper (some steps vary by model):

Unplug refrigerator

Remove the top two shelves

Remove the top light cover, this will give you access to remove the top two screws on the damper

Some models have two screws behind the duct on the back of the refrigerator

You should be able to pull the damper out and disconnect the wiring harness going to it.

Reinstall in the reverse order

These are the parts for your model:

Air Damper & Fan Assembly - Part # PD00001003 (mfg # WR49X10091)

Main Control Board - Part # PD00000994 (mfg # WR55X10942)

Temperature Sensor (Thermistor) - Part # PD00000992 (mfg # WR55X10025)

Great, it sounds like that should take care of your problem. Let us know how it turns out for you.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Ryan,

The air damper was the problem. After dis-assembly I noticed the door was broken causing cold air from the freezer to enter the fridge side. Thanks so much Ryan.

Great! I am glad the air damper assembly took care of your problem. Thanks for letting us know!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Temperature rising on both sides: Freezer and Refrigerator (dont hear fans)

Great! I am glad the air damper assembly took care of your problem. Thanks for letting us know!
    A year and a half after replacing the damper it seems the temperature is rising on both sides: Freezer and Refrigerator and dont hear fans. From what I am reading this could be the main control board...correct? do I need to buy the temperature sensor part WR55X10025?

Phil Z

Are you getting any cooling at all, or are both at room temperature? Do you hear any clicking noises?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Are you getting any cooling at all, or are both at room temperature? Do you hear any clicking noises?
    Started to cool now but it fluctuates...freezer at 4 now fridge at 39
    No noises.

When the compressor is running, is the condenser fan motor next to the compressor running to dissipate the heat?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

When the compressor is running, is the condenser fan motor next to the compressor running to dissipate the heat?
    it sounds like it...seems like the freezer door is slightly open occassionally even when i close it. When its closed the temp goes down.

If the door isn't closing all of the way, that will definitely cause a cooling problem.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com