Thread: Whirlpool Duet Sport WFW8400TW03 not draining properly - intermittent problem

Whirlpool Duet Sport WFW8400TW03 not draining properly - intermittent problem

Model Number: WFW8400TW03
    Brand: Whirlpool

I have a 7 year old Whirlpool Duet Sport WFW8400TW03 washer that sometimes "gets stuck" at the drain/spin cycle. I've been dealing with this for a few weeks now. I can tell there is trouble after running a load of wash since the red door locked indicator light is on instead of the cycle complete light. I unplug the machine, wait a few minutes, plug it back in, put it on drain/spin cycle, and then it sometimes gets past this and finishes. Sometimes the normal 56 minute load will be fine, other times it sticks at this cycle. Sometimes there is even softener left in the dispenser like it maybe missed another cycle prior to the drain/spin cycle. I have taken the lower panel off, cleaned the filter, cleaned out the gray drain hose, visually inspected the black drain hose from the tub, and checked for obstructions at the drain pump outlet. Prior to this, I ran the manual diagnostics test and it showed only an F-21 which made sense due to the change and buttons in the filter. Even after doing all of the above, I still have an intermittent drain issue. I ran the diagnostics test and it ran all the way thru until the drain cycle test where it started draining the water out. The pump was running, water was trickling out of the drain tube, and then it just stopped draining and again, the red "door locked" light came on and their was still water to be seen in the tub. I unplugged the machine, waited a minute, plugged it back in, put it on drain/spin cycle, and then checked the water output coming out of the drain tube and it was gushing out a lot more this time during the drain cycle. Could the pump not work very well 1 time and then better another? Then when it is on a cycle that it does not work very well and it takes too long to drain, it errors out? As I mentioned above, we sometimes have fabric softener left in the dispenser. Not sure if that goes in during the rinse/spin cycle? If so, is this telling me that sometimes the pump isn't working properly after the wash cycle and then errors out at this time? I'm wondering if I should just order a pump and replace it to see if it solves this intermittent problem. I just hate to start buying parts and it doesn't fix the issue.

Thanks in advance for your help, advice, and input - Mike

Mike,

It is very likely from your symptoms that the drain pump may not be working correctly. Diagnosing an intermittent problem can be difficult until you can get it to act up on a regular basis. It is common for the drain pump to work intermittently before it completely gives out. One thing that you can check for is to unplug the washer, drain out the water and remove the drain pump. If you feel the impeller blade on the pump motor, it should not have any play in it from left to right. Also, make sure none of the fins on the pump are broken off or damaged. Let me know what you find.

This is the drain pump for your model washer:

Drain Pump Assembly - Part # PD00025949 (mfg # W10730972)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Ryan,

1st off, thank you for your input! When you say to feel for impeller play left to right, do you mean left to right in the direction like in the picture you posted?

Mike

The left to right play would be the opposite direction that you are describing. That would be considered in and out play, and they will all have a little bit of play in that direction.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter