Thread: whirlpool door issue

whirlpool door issue

Model Number: wfw9400sw01
    Brand: Whirlpool

good afternoon troops,
    i have a duet washer model shown above. the other day the door locked and got an f22 error message. f22 means "door lock error" ( wow... i know )

at any rate i trip the manual release and take the lock mechanism out and hold it in my hand and cycle it. it seems to " latch" hard and clean but the little red " door locked" light never comes on and after a second or two the mechanism sort of growls a bit as if somthing inside is trying to cycle but can't but the growls is located away from the solonoid that drives the latch.

a few seconds later the f22 message shows up and thats that.

a new latch assy is only 75 $ or so and i have no problem buying one and replacing it IF i believe that the latch assy is really the problem and not a signal off a board somewhere....

this is a 7 wire system... 2 big pink ones that i believe drive the solonoid , slim blue ones that i THINK run the light signal and 3 black ones ...

first question... is this a common deal and i should just stop agonizing and buy a new latch ?

2nd can i jump across two of these wires to trip the light circuit to confirm the latch mech is the problem

3rd, is there some other diagnostic i can do to try to id the problem ?

thanks

I have not seen Whirlpool release any service or testing information for the door latch/lock for your washer yet (if you find the information anywhere, please let us know). There are three things that will cause a door lock error on these washing machines: Failed door lock/latch assembly, failed main control board, or bad wiring or wiring connection. I would first check the wiring connections at the door lock and main control board. Also look for any damaged or broken wires. If those things check out, then I would first replace the door latch lock assembly, and if that doesn't fix the problem, then I would replace the main control board.

These are the parts for your washer:

Door Lock Latch - Part # PD00002975 (mfg # WP8183270)

Main Control Board - Part # PD00003591 (mfg # WP8183259)

Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I have not seen Whirlpool release any service or testing information for the door latch/lock for your washer yet (if you find the information anywhere, please let us know). There are three things that will cause a door lock error on these washing machines: Failed door lock/latch assembly, failed main control board, or bad wiring or wiring connection. I would first check the wiring connections at the door lock and main control board. Also look for any damaged or broken wires. If those things check out, then I would first replace the door latch lock assembly, and if that doesn't fix the problem, then I would replace the main control board.

i understand. the wiring is perfect, the connections perfect... as far as the lock/ board i was hoping to be able to rule one or the other out and not buy both.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post

do you know if there is a way to bypass the door lock signal to the control board ? and if so , which two wires ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevesxm View Post
    do you know if there is a way to bypass the door lock signal to the control board ? and if so , which two wires ?
    I am not sure if there is a way to bypass the door lock signal. Let us know which part you find out is bad.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

i took the lock apart. the two skinny bue wires are the door open/close switch... the push button. the two big pink wires are the signal to the board and the 3 black wires drive the solonoid. disconnect the black plug so the solonoid doesn't activate and take the two pink wires and jump them. that tells the board that the lock is engaged and everything works fine. just no door lock.

It sounds like from what you've found that the door lock assembly should take care of your problem.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com