Thread: Whirlpool Duet Dryer Blew 1 Thermal fuse, seems to be running too hot

Whirlpool Duet Dryer Blew 1 Thermal fuse, seems to be running too hot

Model Number: WED9450WR1
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool Duet dryer Model# WED9450WR1, 2yrs old. It just blew a thermal fuse I replaced the fuse, there are no clogs in the vents or blower (very clean) everything checked as far as clogging. I put a new thermal fuse in it and it seem to run fine for 1 load, which came out very hot-(on timed load). When I try to start it again the sensing light stays on but it does not start. I have not checked yet but I saw the earlier post, for a different Model # but same brand dryer, do I really need to replace the entire Heating Element and the Thermistor Control or just the Thermistor Control.

I appreciate any help you can give, most troubleshooting guides I find online are not to helpful, not really extensive enough.

Which thermal fuse did you replace?

The thermal fuse(s) on dryers are a safety to prevent the dryer from overheating and starting a fire. If the dryer is getting too hot, it could come from the heating element being shorted, a bad thermistor, bad control board, or lack of airflow (clogged dryer or venting).

Follow these instructions to check to see if the element is shorted.
    I would first check to see if the heating element is shorted out. When the vent or blower housing of the dryer get built up with a lot of lint the dryer won't vent out the heat properly and it can cause the heating element to warp and short out against the cabinet. To check for a shorted element you should unplug the dryer and remove the bottom panel. On the right side you will see the heating element, remove the two wires that connect to the element. With a multi-meter, check to see if you have continuity from either side of the element to the cabinet that hold the element. You should NOT have continuity when you check for this, if you do the element is shorted out and will need to be replaced. You can also pull out the element and do a visual inspection, sometimes you can see where the element coil is touching the housing. When the element is shorted out, it will continue to heat when the dryer isn't calling for heat. They will even heat with the dryer not running, so make sure to unplug it for safety reasons.
    These are the parts for your dryer:

Heating Element - 8544771

High Limit Thermal Fuse & Thermostat - 279973

Thermistor Control - 8577274

Thermal Fuse - 3392519
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter