Thread: Maytag Drying Center upper cabinet wont heat

Maytag Drying Center upper cabinet wont heat

Model Number: MCE8000AYW
    Brand: Other

I have an unusual, large dryer with a tumbler as lower unit and a drying cabinet as upper unit, which is for hanging garments or laying on screen shelves. The upper unit will ventilate but will not heat. The lower unit (tumbler) works fine. My understanding is that there is a single heating element for both upper and lower units. I found a PDF of Component Testing Procedures which I will try to attach. I did all the diagnostics described. Supposedly if there is a problem such as a faulty thermistor, it should give a diagnostic code. There are no diagnostic codes found when I do the search. I executed the "hr" test under the Sub System Check Menu, and the upper unit ventilates but remains at 76 degrees after 10 minutes. Logic board Output self test read "pass." So it seems to me that this 12 page diagnostic guide is apparently not comprehensive. I know I have to take the front panel off for access to the components. I know the heating element works, because the lower tumbler works fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? I cant attach the pdf because it is too large of a file for this forum. Here's the link to it.http://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/16022785.pdf

It does give a list to check:
    Will Not Dry
    Will not heat (motor runs):
    • Open heating element.
    • Hi-Limit trips easily or is open.
    • Faulty Thermistor.
    • Faulty Heater Relays.
    • Drive motor centrifugal start switch not allowing
    voltage to gas valve or heating element.

Seems to me that thermistor or relay should give a diagnostic code. Can a centrifugal start switch be replaced? Unfortunately I lost my job so years ago I could afford to buy this unit, but now I cannot afford a technician at $100/hr...
    Attached Files Attached Files

There are two heating elements on this dryer, one is for the upper unit and the other is for the lower. So it is possible for the dryer to work and heat okay, but the upper part to not heat because they have separate heating systems. Have you checked the heating element, thermal fuse, and high limit thermostat for the upper unit?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Will do. Can you give me an idea of what resistances should read on these components? I understand access is thru the front panels. I'm on it.

I am not sure what the heating element resistance should be, but the fuse and thermostat should have a resistance close to zero ohms.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter