Thread: Keep blowing water solenoid valves on my GE fridge

Patient

Angry Keep blowing water solenoid valves on my GE fridge

Model Number: GCF23KGWABB
    Brand: GE

I have put two replacement water solenoid valves in there and they just keep blowing. One blew after a day or two of use and the second blew immediately when I pressed the paddle at the dispenser. I checked resistance before putting in the second one, just to be sure. I did see that there is a smoke residue around a component on the control board but it looks to be on the DC side and I think there is just a relay on the AC side for these valves. I don't know the whole system so if anyone can let me know if replacing the main control board is the answer I would appreciate it.

What part number is the valve that you are replacing? Can you describe what kind of failure you are having with the water inlet valve? It is not normal for them to "blow". If the control board has any burned components then it should be replaced.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Patient
    The valve is a WR57X10070. The water dispenser (WD) failed one day but the ice maker (IM) was still working. I tested the resistance on the WD valves, one was 0 and the other was around 300. I got a new valve and tested it first. Both WD valves read 310-320. I installed it and heard a pop right away. Now both valves read 0 ohms. The IM valve still works. I tried to get an amperage reading based upon the wattage listed on the valve and 120V but not current of course without a valve coil intact. I suspected the relay on the control board shorted for the WD and is just sending too many amps. The resistor circled in red in the picture below has the smoke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WR55X10942.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	248

If one of those two resistors are burned, that usually means that the one of the fan motors (evaporator or condenser) is bad. When this happens, you should replace both the control board and the fan motor that is bad. Common signs of the fan motor being bad are if the fan is not running when it should be or if it is constantly varying speeds. Have you checked to see if power is being sent to the water valve all of the time?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Patient
    I have replaced the board. I will check the fan to be sure it is operating properly. The coils on the heat exchanger were really dirty so I cleaned them. That may have been the problem.

Yes make sure to replace the fan motor if you find one of them is bad. If you don't, you will burn up another control board usually within 3-9 months.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com