Thread: Ratcheting/Chattering Noise at Start of Spin Cycle

Ratcheting/Chattering Noise at Start of Spin Cycle

Model Number: 26812690
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

After changing the clutch (due to slow spin), the washer made a ratcheting/chattering noise upon spin start-up, diminishing in frequency and intensity as tub spun-up, with no noise at tub full speed.

One week later, I replaced gearbox with NO change in the aforementioned noise. Washer otherwise operates normally. What can I try next to resolve the noise?

Did this noise happen previously? What part number did you use for the replacement clutch and did you make sure to use the correct clutch spring?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

This particular noise is new since installation of the clutch part no 285785. The clutch came with a blue spring installed and an extra smaller black spring for use in compact washers per instruction sheet. I installed the clutch as it came out of the package with the blue spring. A brake cam driver was also included in the kit and I installed that also at the same time. I followed instructions in the several youtube videos on the procedure.

Did you make sure that the old transmission didn't leak grease onto the new clutch?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Wiped down all greasy parts and environs before replacing old (and greasy) clutch. New clutch remains grease free. I am wondering if the noise might be 'normal' until the new clutch wears-in? Am considering putting the old clutch back in to see what happens. In the meantime, it is washing clothes with noise getting no better or worse.

It may be normal until the clutch wears in. Does it seem to do it any more or less with a bigger or smaller load in the washer?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

As near as I can tell, the noise remains unchanged throughout the range of empty to full load.

Problem solved.

I put the original clutch back in and no more chattering.

I cleaned the original clutch of grease and discovered the friction pads (6 each vice only three each in the 'new replacement' clutch) still had a lot of life left, so I am going to leave the original clutch in the machine. When I removed and disassembled the 'new replacement' clutch, the wear marks on the friction pads indicated a 'high' spot on each of the three pads and therefore only a small surface area was making contact with the clutch ring. I believe that was the source of the chattering noise. The chatter was annoying, but causing no harm and I beleive the pads would have eventually worn-in and stopped making the noise.

I applaud Partsdr (Ryan?) for getting my gearbox-order in the shipping queue the same day as the order, even though order was placed after 5PM. It was delivered 1.5 days from time of order! Great price too!
    Last edited by kmick; 12-26-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Thank you for updating us on the cause of the noise. I am sure you are correct that the new clutch would just take a little bit of time to break in and even out the high spots. Thank you for your business!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com