Thread: Fresh Food area not cooling

Fresh Food area not cooling

Model Number: PDS22MBpabb
    Brand: GE

Hello and Help,

My fresh food area is still not cooling. First repair company (not recommended) installed a main board without cutting the 2 required wires to display the correct temp. Unit still did not cool. 2nd company actually opened the back up and there was frozen coil and a sheet of ice. He replaced a WR50X10088. Unit still not cool a day later. The temp in the frig read 37, but actual was 70's (using a Fischer scientific thermo). 2nd guy returned and unplugged damper assembly and propped open the damper door because he was stumped and I was going out of town. The unit made it to about 43, but days later it got back up to 70's. My research said test the thermistor, but no one did. So I just replaced the one in the fresh area, but still no correct temp reading.

I found this appliance repair blog and Ryan and decided to do the suggested....cut the wires. Yeah! The fresh area temp started reading correctly. But there was little to no air coming out of the damper assembly. I decided to take the damper assembly out to see if the damper door was shut or anything! I left the damper assembly off all night and today 12 hours later the fresh is only 66 and still little air is coming up out of the frzr. I can see the evap fan spinning, but now I do see some frost on the back of my frzr.

Now what? Do I get an ohm meter and test the other 2 thermistors. I really want to do all I can before I call yet another person or have to take out the frzr drawers and back off myself.

Thanks

More info....Now I am confused the 2nd repair company said they installed a bi-metal, but the part number I see on my invoice is for a Thermostat Cutoff. I see the part number for a cutoff is 10088 and the bi-metal is 10044. Maybe he wrote incorrectly :-(. This is so frustrating.

Update. So I bought an analog meter and went to testing. I stuck the fresh food thermistor I installed in cup of ice water for 5 mins and read (pin 5 &1) close to 16.3 (I saw required online). I did the one in the freezer (pin 5 & 3) (these things are a witch to get out!). It read the same so those 2 seem ok. So assuming my freezer is frozen over testing the evap thermistor (Pin 5 & 4) read only 3.5 so does that mean this one might be the problem? That or the heater which I cannot access...yet :-(.

I think the cooling problem might be related to that frost that you are seeing the back of the freezer. If the freezer is not going through the automatic defrost cycle, then the air flow will get blocked by the frost and cause the refrigerator to warm up.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter