Thread: [FIXED] Whirlpool Top Load Washer made loud banging noise on spin cycle.

[FIXED] Whirlpool Top Load Washer made loud banging noise on spin cycle.

Model Number: GST9679PW2
    Brand: Whirlpool

My Whirlpool Top Load Washer with direct drive made a loud banging noise on spin cycle and now doesn't agitate or spin at all. Replaced clutch, and coupler and still makes the noise but the agitator doesn't move. I think it is the gear case/transmission but want to know what you think it could be. Willing to purchase the gear case/transmission if that is the problem.

When you replaced the clutch, did you replaced the brake cam driver at the same time? It is included in the clutch kit part number 285785. If that piece is good, then it is most likely an internal failure inside the gearcase.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    When you replaced the clutch, did you replaced the brake cam driver at the same time? It is included in the clutch kit part number 285785. If that piece is good, then it is most likely an internal failure inside the gearcase.
    I had a service man install the new clutch and he did install the white brake cam driver but afterr he left, I took the machine apart to see where the noise was coming from and noticed the cam driver fits very loosely on the shaft even after the retaining ring is installed to hold it in place. Very sloppy, is that normal? Opening seems quite a bit larger than the shaft it fits on.

I purchased the new gearcase/transmission from Parts Dr and it arrived the next day and I installed it according to an online video and it now works fine. You have to do these repairs yourself because the appliance repair people will charge you as much for service as a new machine would cost. I paid a guy $45.00 to come out and check my machine and he thought the problem was the clutch and wanted $225.00 to replace it. He put in the clutch and the machine made even more noise that it did before he worked on it. He didn't offer to replace the transmission and said keep the clutch and give him the machine when we get a new one. So all he got was the $45.00.

Thanks for the update, I am glad replacing the transmission took care of the problem for you. Luckily you are handy enough to be able to save some money and complete the repair yourself. I updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter