Thread: [FIXED] GE Fridge Problems

[FIXED] GE Fridge Problems

Model Number: GSH22KGPC BB
    Brand: GE

Hopefully this won't be too long. I am having problems with my fridge. The fridge side wasn't cooling, and I could tell that the freezer side had issues too. The ice in the ice bucket had partially melted and re-froze. At times, the fridge would be warm. Then I noticed the temp numbers were not lit up. If I pressed and released the door switch, the numbers would light up, and the door between the freezer and the fridge would open and the fridge would cool again. The compressor seems to work fine, the inside lights work as well. Intermintently, the water dispenser would not work, but the lights on the control panel were lit. I have not tried to dispense ice as I have the ice maker turned off. I have already broke an ice auger once, since the ice bucket was froze solid. After doing some research on the internet, this seemed to be a common issue caused by a bad mother board. I replaced mother board (part # WR55X10942) and the evaportor fan motor. I read that the fan motor can cause the mother board to fail, so that is why I changed it. So, after putting the new parts in, I have the same problems. I put a thermometer in the fridge side, and the temp fluctuates between 3 deg C and as high as 40 deg C. Not only is it not cooling, but it seems to be heating. Before I replaced the mother board, the fridge sat unplugged for several days and fully defrosted. Is it possible to get a new defective mother board? I don't know what to try next. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

It would be very unlikely that the new control board and the old control board would have the exact same problem. Does the condenser fan motor next to the compressor run when the compressor is running?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Doc Ryan, thanks for the reply. Yes, the condenser fan motor is running. The compressor is warm, not hot. I can hold my hand on it.

The next thing I would do is unplug the refrigerator remove the lower back panel in the freezer section. Check to see if the evaporator coil behind that panel is full of frost or not.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Yes, the fins on the coil are frosty. I will try to post a picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fraser-Fort George A-20140114-00036.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	255 Here is the picture.

A light even layer of frost across the entire coil is normal, but a thicker heavier layer of frost is not normal as this will block the air flow and cause the refrigerator warm up. Or if the coil only gets frost on part of the coil and there is no frost on the other part. If your coiling problem is happening intermittently, it may be hard to diagnose.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Fixed! I think. Keeping my fingers crossed. Feel like a bit of a fool though. Fought with this for close to a month. Had a service guy in tonight, and Iwas no help at all. After he left, fridge started warming up again. 27 deg C and climbing. I havea remote thermometer in there. Freezer was fairly consistent at -29 deg C. Freezer setting at 5. Seemed to be too cold, but fridge was warm. Opened the door and started feeling the sides, top etc. Could not figure out what was HEATING the fridge. Then I noticed the panel above thel light bulb was warm. Same on the other bulb. Why were the bulbs on? Then the perverbial bulb went on. Here is my theory. The door switch wasn't registering that the door was closed. I think (correct me if I am wrong) that if the door stays open long enough, the damper will close and the number display shut off (my rv fridge turns off if the door is left open too long). So, no cooling in the fridge, coupled with the light bulbs heating, resulted in fridge temps well over 30 deg C. I closed the door, climbed on a chair, and pryed the door seal back with a butter knife. The numbers were lit and the ligt was on. Turns out, the door was out of alignment enough to not trigger the switch ever time. I will keep monitoring the thermometer, but I think I have this fixed!

Yes, it sounds like you found the cause of the problem. If the refrigerator thinks the door is open all sorts of weird things will happen. Good job on narrowing down the problem, I updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com