Thread: PFSS6PKXCSS Defrost Problem & Not Making Ice

PFSS6PKXCSS Defrost Problem & Not Making Ice

I'm having this same problem with my GE Profile model #PFSS6PKXCSS ice maker. I see the solution to this problem was to change the defrost sensor, however, I don't think this model has a separate defrost sensor. Does this mean the motherboard needs to be replaced? Is there a way for you to find out if this model has a defrost sensor. In addition to the problems listed below I am also experiencing the evaporator coil freezes up and I manually defrost it with a blow dryer. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by joyalaura View Post
    Model Number: GSH25JSA
    Brand: GE

My ice maker makes ice just fine but within a week of thawing/cleaning everything and starting again, ice will melt together, making it impossible to get a few cubes manually without carrying the bin to the sink and using an ice pick. The auger that was turning just fine, will freeze, hum and not turn due to ice clump preventing it from turning, eventually the auger motor itself will freeze as well. The bottom side of the ice bin itself gets a generous layer of ice on it and the wire shelves will have frozen drips hanging from them as well as the contents of the freezer getting a powdery frost all over them. It's like the "frost free" ain't so frost free after all. Shoot, my non-frost free doesn't get this much ice build up in it!

I have checked:

• door seal (just fine)
    • dispenser flap (Seals well, works up and down with slight delay, but I'm thinking of changing dispenser solenoid regardless because a while back the water acted like it didn't want to dispense, but it's working now)
    • The ice maker arm
    • Ice maker gears (not broken)

I am so ready to fix this problem. I've been waiting for months now from another forum that has yet to reply to 3 different submissions. If I could just be sure of what part I needed, I'd order it and be on my merry way. This ice maker stuff is really pretty cut and dry but I cannot find anything visually wrong so far.

Everything seems to freeze just fine, but why all the frost and melting? I was going to check the water valve but read somewhere that if it's making ice, then the valve isn't the culprit. Also, I wanted to check the fill line but it doesn't seem to be removable on my model, any ideas on how to clear it out?

If you know what else I can investigate, PLEASE let me know! I'm at my wits end with this thing! I can't afford a service call or I would go that route. Nor can I afford to throw money at random parts)

I will be ever so grateful for any suggestions.
    Last edited by Keshavn12; 01-20-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: corrected model number

Quote Originally Posted by Keshavn12 View Post
    I'm having this same problem with my GE Profile model #PFSS6PKXCSS ice maker. I see the solution to this problem was to change the defrost sensor, however, I don't think this model has a separate defrost sensor. Does this mean the motherboard needs to be replaced? Is there a way for you to find out if this model has a defrost sensor. In addition to the problems listed below I am also experiencing the evaporator coil freezes up and I manually defrost it with a blow dryer. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
    There is a defrost sensor on your model, it is part number WR23X10582. Besides the defrost sensor, it could also be a bad defrost thermostat, defrost heater, or control control board. Anyone of those four things can cause the refrigerator not to go through the automatic defrost cycle.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for your prompt response! Do you have a diagram of where these parts are located on the fridge?

How do I check to find out which part is malfunctioning? Sorry for all the questions I'm a novice trying to save money. On a fixed budget.

Is it the freezer evaporator coil or refrigerator evaporator coil that is not defrosting?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Is it the freezer evaporator coil or refrigerator evaporator coil that is not defrosting?
    Not sure. I've noticed the flap to the ice maker remains open. Ice falls out continuously and the ice at the front of the ice bin clumps up from melted ice. What part do I need to order to replace the black flap that won't close?

The refridgerator coil

If something is broken not allowing the flap to close, then you will have to replace the ice route case assembly. I have included a link below to this part.

Ice Route Case Assembly - WR13X10737
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    If something is broken not allowing the flap to close, then you will have to replace the ice route case assembly. I have included a link below to this part.

Ice Route Case Assembly - WR13X10737
    Ok. Thank you so much for all your help. Do you think this will cause the coil to freeze up making frost in the refridgerator? Is there a tutorial video on how to remove the old ice route case assembly?