Thread: Water not working on GE Profile French Door Refrigerator after changing filter

Water not working on GE Profile French Door Refrigerator after changing filter

Model Number: PFSS6PKXASS
    Brand: GE

I removed sticker on top, but did not fill new filter with water. Water does not dispense. I have seen a couple of drips through dispenser and hear a low hum when I press dispenser, but do not hear water or air flowing. Previous filter change was without problems.

What I have tried:
    1. Replacing new filter with old filter
    2. Pressing dispenser for up to 5 minutes (suggested by GE)
    3. Unplugging for a few minutes and plugging back in
    4. Turning supply water valve on and off

Did the water dispenser work before the filter was replaced? Is the ice maker still making ice?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Water dispenser worked fine before changing filter. Yellow change filter light was on and I had extra filter so I changed it. Ice maker also stopped working.

There are a few possibilities of what could cause your problem. I would first check to see if you have water pressure coming to the refrigerator. The best way to do this, is to shut off the water to the refrigerator, then disconnect the water line, and then put the water line in a bucket while you have someone turn the water back on. Another common thing that can happen is for a water line to freeze. To fix this, you would need to let the water lines thaw out and warm up. The water valve on the back of the refrigerator could be bad, but it is not very likely for both the ice and water to both stop working at the same time as they are controlled separately. There could also be something broken on the housing where the filter connects to. You will have to do some more checking on the refrigerator and get back to us with what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thanks for your help. Water going into refrigerator works without problem. I was able to disconnect line and run water into small bucket using valve on supply line.

My research found some GE Profile side-by-sides that had water line freezing problem and that there is a warming kit to prevent that, but I did not find that this is a problem with french door model. I turned off circuit breaker to refrigerator. How long would it take to thaw line in 70 degree house?

I'm wondering if I damaged the housing where filter attaches. It seems like housing is tight, but there was not much room to remove filter between top shelf and filter. It's possible that I damaged housing getting filter off and on. How hard is that to replace?

Further research found this part is called Water Filer Head and has part no. WR17X12469. Have not found replacement instructions, but part includes tubing that goes down back of fridge.
    Last edited by tseeb; 05-10-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Additional information

If the lines will disconnect from the water filter head (it doesn't look like they do), you could try disconnecting them to see if water will come out at that point. Another way you can test for a restriction in the water line is to disconnect the line (at both ends) and blow through it. If the filter head is damaged or broken, then it will have to be replaced. The filter housing could have broken when you removed the old water filter not allowing any water to pass through anymore.

With the doors open and the refrigerator shut off, I would say it could easily take half a day to thaw out a frozen water line.

We do carry the water filter housing (head).

Water Filter Housing - Part # PD00001303 (mfg # WR17X12469)

Ryan

PartsDr.com

Do you know if it is as simple as removing two Phillips head screws and disconnecting water lines to remove filter head (or filer)? Then it looks like it would pull out into refrigerator with two plastic lines attached. If I got it out, I could see if it looks like there is a problem or show it to guys at place where I bought unit and maybe even find part locally tomorrow.

I only had electricity shut for about 1 hour 20 minutes with doors closed as unit is full of food. The guys where I bought it have not heard of recent line freezing problems.

If you do have a frozen water line, you would have to take the food out of the refrigerator and open the doors to let warm air into the refrigerator. Shutting it off with the doors closed for an 1 hour and 20 mins won't do it.

Let us know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I verified that water is getting to filter head by pushing on little plastic 4-sided cone where filter engages. It seems like more comes out around o-rings than through center, but maybe that is because filter was not there.

It was very easy to remove water filter head. I was ready to order new head, but thought I should try to make sure that is my problem. When I blow into inlet tube without filter installed or without pushing on 4-sided cone that is next to outlet, nothing goes through. When I blow through inlet tube with new or old filter installed, it takes a lot of pressure, but air gets through. If anything it is harder to get air through new filter that had some water in int than old filter that is empty. When I blow through inlet while pushing on little plastic 4-sided cone air goes through easily. There may be a little crack (or it could be part of the plastic casting) next to little plastic 4-sided cone - hard to tell, but it could be a small semi-circular crack. Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by tseeb; 05-11-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added a little more

I have too much in freezer and fridge to shut it off and see if frozen lines are the problem.

I showed water filter head to guy at local appliance parts store. He did not think it was the problem. I have GE service coming tomorrow. Before I re-installed water filter head, I took a picture of base where filter installs. I think it is cracked, but guy at local appliance parts store said he thought it was part of casting. Tried taking picture of it with iPhoneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	845WaterFillerHead.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	56.

From the picture the crack you a referring to looks like part of the casting. Let us know what the technician finds out.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

It turned out that new filter did not work with our refrigerator. Not sure why old filter that was exactly the same worked for about a year before being changed and did not work after being changed. Having the bypass plug would have quickly diagnosed problem. Next time I will spend extra $ for GE filters. Thanks for your help.

What brand of filters were you using?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

This was AquaFresh WF287 purchased from filters-outlet. I bought a 3-pack and the first two worked, but third one was not a charm and going back to second one also did not work. I will contact them about problem I experienced.

GE Profile French Doors - Water line freezing FIX

Quote Originally Posted by tseeb View Post
    Thanks for your help. Water going into refrigerator works without problem. I was able to disconnect line and run water into small bucket using valve on supply line.

My research found some GE Profile side-by-sides that had water line freezing problem and that there is a warming kit to prevent that, but I did not find that this is a problem with french door model. I turned off circuit breaker to refrigerator. How long would it take to thaw line in 70 degree house?

I'm wondering if I damaged the housing where filter attaches. It seems like housing is tight, but there was not much room to remove filter between top shelf and filter. It's possible that I damaged housing getting filter off and on. How hard is that to replace?

Further research found this part is called Water Filer Head and has part no. WR17X12469. Have not found replacement instructions, but part includes tubing that goes down back of fridge.
    I was able to solve this annoying issue by cutting two pieces of cardboard and placing them over the water lines. The cardboard insulates the lines and keeps them from freezing up. Hope this helps.