Thread: [FIXED] Washer only has hot water

[FIXED] Washer only has hot water

Model Number: 417.61712510
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

When we go to use our combo washer dryer the washer portion only has super hot water even though cold is selected. I’ve unplugged it to try and reset it. From what I can find it’s either the solenoid or the control board. I didn’t want to just throw parts at it before I asked around.

This is almost always caused by a failure of the water inlet valve, although there is a small chance that it could be a failure of the control board or wiring between them. If you wanted to narrow down the issue, you would need to do a live voltage test while the washer is calling for cold water to see if the valve is receiving power. If the valve is receiving power but not allowing water through, then the water valve is bad and needs to be replaced. Let me know what you find.

Water Inlet Valve - 137353500 (PD00036732)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    This is almost always caused by a failure of the water inlet valve, although there is a small chance that it could be a failure of the control board or wiring between them. If you wanted to narrow down the issue, you would need to do a live voltage test while the washer is calling for cold water to see if the valve is receiving power. If the valve is receiving power but not allowing water through, then the water valve is bad and needs to be replaced. Let me know what you find.

Water Inlet Valve - 137353500 (PD00036732)
    I ohms test both solenoids and they came back with continuity. I then tested the voltage going to them and the cold water tested fine, but I could not get a reading on the hot side when switched to hot or warm. I used the cold wire harness and tested both solenoids and they clicked fine. It’s seems to be stuck mid cycle when I hit start it goes into a rinse spin kind of thing.

The ohm test can come back good, but the valve can still have an internal failure not allowing water to flow through. I would still suspect a bad water valve from what you have described.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

The ohm test can come back good, but the valve can still have an internal failure not allowing water to flow through. I would still suspect a bad water valve from what you have described.
    Even with not being able to get any voltage reading on the hot water terminal side ?
    When selected the cold water side reads 120 when I move to hot and do the same test I get nothing.

You are saying that you are only getting hot water. If you are only getting hot water, then we know that the water valve must be getting power to the hot side of the valve.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

You are saying that you are only getting hot water. If you are only getting hot water, then we know that the water valve must be getting power to the hot side of the valve.
    Thank you for all your help. Things weren’t adding up so I went back to basics. I tested the water coming from the house. It turns out the water lines were reversed at the wall and since the unit is upstairs and only used by my kids it wasn’t noticed till now. Ironically I had this house built myself so the builder must have made a mistake with the plumbing

Nice find! I updated the status to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com