Thread: Ice Shoot clogging up

Ice Shoot clogging up

Model Number: 106.55606400
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

I have the side by side Kenmore Elite Fridge. I had problems with it last summer and now as soon as the temps are rising it is starting again...the ice freezes up in the chute. I am guessing warm air gets in there and whatever crushed ice is around melts a bit and then freezes together. I am thinking maybe I need to replace the flap, maybe some of the material had gone bad somewhere? The chute door appears to be closing fine. If i press on it after it closes there does not seem to be a gap. I was looking at the Dispenser Door Flap KitPart Number: 8201649. Does this sound like I am headed the right direction? I wish it had directions too, I need to figure out how to take it apart...have not done that before. Thanks for your help.

Oh, also read that the door heater is no longer needed. We didn't seem to have trouble all winter, but could that be a culplrit if the one I have in the door is misfiring?
    Last edited by lagator; 05-20-2012 at 12:24 PM.

I think you are on the right track. If the ice door isn't sealing all of the way, then you will see frost build up around the dispenser area inside the freezer. The ice door has been re-designed and it is now made from a different better material that doesn't require the heater on the ice door. If yours is an older model that has a heater, and the heater has stopped working, then it could be causing your problem. Typically, there is more humidity and moisture in the air during the warmer months of the year, so that would also make sense.

Are you seeing any frost build up in the dispenser area inside the freezer?

Ice Door Kit - 8201649
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Postition of ice dispenser

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I think you are on the right track. If the ice door isn't sealing all of the way, then you will see frost build up around the dispenser area inside the freezer. The ice door has been re-designed and it is now made from a different better material that doesn't require the heater on the ice door. If yours is an older model that has a heater, and the heater has stopped working, then it could be causing your problem. Typically, there is more humidity and moisture in the air during the warmer months of the year, so that would also make sense.

Ice Door Kit - 8201649

Thank so much. Actually we have the model where the ice "caddy" and dispenser is in the door. So, the area behind the dispenser is not visible to me. There is definitely frost built up under the unit I take out of the door. I cleaned the shoot 2 days ago and I can start to see build up again. We are also in a very humid area! I will attach the 3 photos I just took. One is of the caddy in the door so you can see the set up. The second is the shoot in the door when I remove the caddy. The third which I blurred a bit, sorry, but I leaned the full caddy over the edge of the stove and took a photo of the underneath. Here you can really see a frost build up. Thanks again so much.
    Lisa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0010-5.jpg   IMG_0011-5.jpg   IMG_0012-5.jpg  

Thanks for the excellent pictures, they are very helpful. If you are getting frost buildup underneath the ice bin like that, then you have an air leak (most likely from the ice door) that is letting outside are in the freezer and causing that frost to buildup.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by lagator View Post
    Thank so much. Actually we have the model where the ice "caddy" and dispenser is in the door. So, the area behind the dispenser is not visible to me. There is definitely frost built up under the unit I take out of the door. I cleaned the shoot 2 days ago and I can start to see build up again. We are also in a very humid area! I will attach the 3 photos I just took. One is of the caddy in the door so you can see the set up. The second is the shoot in the door when I remove the caddy. The third which I blurred a bit, sorry, but I leaned the full caddy over the edge of the stove and took a photo of the underneath. Here you can really see a frost build up. Thanks again so much.
    Lisa
    Thank you so much. This has been so helpful. This will be my first stop for now on when I have a problem and need parts! I will order the ice door kit. The one last question I have is that it does not indicate that it comes with directions...any idea on where I could find some? I consider myself a handy person, but would love something to go off of. Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by lagator View Post
    Thank you so much. This has been so helpful. This will be my first stop for now on when I have a problem and need parts! I will order the ice door kit. The one last question I have is that it does not indicate that it comes with directions...any idea on where I could find some? I consider myself a handy person, but would love something to go off of. Lisa
    Lisa, I don't believe Whirlpool includes instructions for this part.

Here is how to access the dispenser parts:

Unplug the refrigerator.

Remove the dispenser housing cover by pulling on the bottom part of the trim, and then lifting up to release the top tabs.

Then disconnect the electrical connector. Set this cover off to the side.

Remove the dispenser switch mounting bracket, and tape it up and out of the way.

This should give you access the components you are looking to replace.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Lisa, I don't believe Whirlpool includes instructions for this part.

Here is how to access the dispenser parts:

Unplug the refrigerator.

Remove the dispenser housing cover by pulling on the bottom part of the trim, and then lifting up to release the top tabs.

Then disconnect the electrical connector. Set this cover off to the side.

Remove the dispenser switch mounting bracket, and tape it up and out of the way.

This should give you access the components you are looking to replace.
    Thank you again so much. Fingers crossed...the part is already "in the mail" from you site.

Let us know how the repair goes for you.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Let us know how the repair goes for you.
    Will do, I have been watching You Tube videos for information and to see the parts and how they come apart...hopefully will have a quiet day next week to conquer the project. Ice Door Kit already arrived! Thanks.

Ice Door Kit - 8201649
    Mission accomplished(I hope). I was able to get all the parts replaced. Turned it back on and ice and ice and water worked(first good sign...) I cleaned out the shoot and frost from under the caddy, now time will tell I suppose. Check one more thing off the "Mom to 'fix' list" today! Hopefully, the issue is resolved. The one question I have...as I was taking everything apart, the wired white control assembly(I guess?, photo attached) was connected by wires through the top of the inside. I was able to pull them down just enough to tape it up out of the way. It made me a bit nervous having to tug a little to get them loose a little. Is this what you were talking about? I didn't see anyway(easy way) to disconnect it. So it was a little inconvenient to work around. Just wondering in case I have to go back in...for now the drip area is dry...hoping it stays that way!! Yeah!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0015-5.jpg  

Way to go! Yes, the white bracket in your picture is what you flip up and tape "out of the way" while you are working on the components underneath it. The wires are tight... but there is usually just enough to work with. Give us a report back in a day or two and let us know if the frost problem is taken care of for good.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com