Thread: Hotpoint FFA47X - Ongoing Auto-Defrost Problems and NOW Constant Beeping

Hotpoint FFA47X - Ongoing Auto-Defrost Problems and NOW Constant Beeping

Model Number: FFA47X
    Brand: Other

Hi

I stumbled upon this forum through sheer luck and I am pleased to say I did.

I know we live in a throw-away society but I cannot bring myself to dump my fridge.

I have had this Hotpoint FFA47X for approx. 11 years. It has never defrosted correctly from Day One and interesting I found a service manual online for a FFA45W on the website called Elektro Tanya.

The service manual doesn't show you how to strip the thing down only part numbers. I would have thought a service manual would show you how to service an item and test things. Apparently not it seems!

I came across a thread on this forum of how to test the freezer probe. However, all the connections seem to be hidden behind inaccessible panels.

Not wishing to jump the gun perhaps I should explain what the issue is that I am having.

The fridge has started beeping constantly and the front display is no longer illuminated or showing any readings.

I had noticed previously that two wires in the cable which goes to the front display have broken (pink and grey in colour), I have soldered these temporarily. The front display is now flashing slowly but not in sync with the beeps.

I have noticed since defrosting that a wire on the evaporator (not sure this is the correct term - the freezer pipes) within the freezer looks as though it has got burnt out at some point.

The fan in the freezer is no longer turning either.

The question is where and how do I start to diagnose what's wrong?

The motherboards are both Magnatek. I have stripped them out and looked at the circuit boards. Nothing seems to be burnt out.

Perhaps there is a factory reset procedure I could go through to stop the display flashing and beeping?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:-

When I open the fridge door, the compressor kicks in and then switches off within a second or two.
    Last edited by Rhothgar; 05-01-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Additional Information

I am not able to find FFA47X as a valid model number. Is this a USA model refrigerator?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I am not able to find FFA47X as a valid model number. Is this a USA model refrigerator?
    I'm afraid not. It is European. I am in England, United Kingdom.

I have been reading up quite a bit online and found several suggestions on your site and elsewhere. However, I do not know where to start. People are saying resistor R53 other say other resistors.

I do not want to get into changing resistors unnecessarily if it is a waste of time. The part is no longer available from Hotpoint but I believe most parts are shared across many manufacturers and fridge freezers.

I am almost looking for a troubleshooting flow diagram I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhothgar View Post
    I'm afraid not. It is European. I am in England, United Kingdom.

I have been reading up quite a bit online and found several suggestions on your site and elsewhere. However, I do not know where to start. People are saying resistor R53 other say other resistors.

I do not want to get into changing resistors unnecessarily if it is a waste of time. The part is no longer available from Hotpoint but I believe most parts are shared across many manufacturers and fridge freezers.

I am almost looking for a troubleshooting flow diagram I suppose.
    I'm sorry, I do not have any information for non US models.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I'm sorry, I do not have any information for non US models.
    Not to worry! Many thanks for checking.

The fan in the freezer is now working where previously it wasn't and it seems to be cold in there.

I have been since told that the chances are the main board has gone. At one point the display was flashing recently but that has now stopped flashing.

Got to be worth forking out £100 for a new board rather than £700 for the equivalent current model.

Also, I am going to try my damnedest to get Hotpoint to provide replacement evap and coil due to the FFA45W manual clearly admitting that the original design was faulty. I doubt I will get anywhere with that but it has to be worth a shot.