Thread: GE Profile refrigerator- refrigerator not cold enough and freezer too cold

GE Profile refrigerator- refrigerator not cold enough and freezer too cold

Model Number: PDS20SBPALSS
    Brand: GE

The refrigerator has been running for several days now. It is a bottom freezer model. This morning nterior digital temp reads 61 degrees for refrigerator and -12 for freezer. I've cleaned the condenser coils at base of the unit next to the compressor. Are there other coils for the refrigerator section that must also be cleaned? Condenser fan seems to be operating properly. Could there be a blockage between the freezer and refrigerator compartments?

I would first check to see if the evaporator coil in the back of the freezer section is going through the automatic defrost cycle. If the refrigerator does not go through the automatic defrost cycle the evaporator coil will build up with frost and block the air flow which causes the refrigerator section to warm up.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I would first check to see if the evaporator coil in the back of the freezer section is going through the automatic defrost cycle. If the refrigerator does not go through the automatic defrost cycle the evaporator coil will build up with frost and block the air flow which causes the refrigerator section to warm up.
    Thanks Ryan. How do I determine if the refrigerator is/is not going through the automatic defrost cycle? I ran a hair dryer under warm heat over the area above the condenser coils on up the back of the refrigerator along what I believe to be the cool air channel from the freezer to the refrigerator. I did this for 30 minutes. There is no water in the drain pain. Perhaps I should gently probe the drain tube to see if there is a blockage in the tube itself. At present I am running a small electric heater up the back of the refrigerator. I'll try that for another half-hour.

The coil that you are looking at is the condenser coil. That coil is to dissipate heat from the refrigerator, so putting a heater on that coil will only make the refrigerator not work as well. The evaporator coil is located inside the freezer behind a panel on the back wall. You will want to unplug the refrigerator and remove everything in the freezer to gain access to it.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thanks for your help, Ryan. I turned the refrigerator off and took everything out of the freezer compartment including the door. There was ice covering the rear of the freezer compartment. I ran a fan into the empty freezer compartment overnight and collected 2 quarts of cold water from the drain pipe into the drain pan. When there was no more water coming out I put everything back in the freezer compartment and turned the freezer on. Within 6 hours the fridge temp was 37 degrees and the freezer temp was 0, both up to spec. Guess I'm OK until the next blockage. Is there anything you would suggest to keep that from happening? Dave

You most likely have a failed part causing the freezer not to go through the automatic defrost cycle. The most common things to fail are the main control board, defrost thermistor, defrost heater, and defrost thermostat.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com