Thread: [FIXED] Ice is forming on back wall of the freezer compartment

Question [FIXED] Ice is forming on back wall of the freezer compartment

Model Number: PLHS267ZCB4
    Brand: Frigidaire

I own a Frigidaire Model# PLHS267ZCB4 for 10 years now. 6 months ago I changed the evaporator motor inside the freezer compartment because my vegetable compartment in the refrigerator side use to freeze. Only 3 months ago I also changed the air dumper control in the refrigerator top portion because it was making noise. Now I noticed that temperature in the refrigerator side is not cold enough (purchased a refrigerator thermometer) and then I checked the freezer back wall and notice a lot of ice forming on the metal cover of the evaporator. Is it that the evaporator motor or the defrost/heater element aren't working? Please advise. Thank you

It could be a problem with the automatic defrost cycle not working or the evaporator fan motor not working. Do you hear the fan motor running? I would unplug the refrigerator and remove the back panel in the freezer to inspect the evaporator coil to see if it is full of frost or not.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Like I said the evaporator fan motor was replaced not long ago, the only problem could be according to you that the automatic defrost cycle isn't working. How may I fix that? Are there other threads like mine that I may read?

If the freezer is not going through the automatic defrost cycle then it is usually caused by one of three things on this refrigerator. It can be caused by a failure of the defrost thermostat, defrost control board, or the defrost heater. To check the defrost thermostat for continuity, you will first need to unplug the refrigerator and then unplug or cut the wires to the defrost thermostat. While the thermostat is still cold (covered in frost), use a multimeter on the two wires to check the thermostat for continuity. If you do not have any continuity, then you should replace the defrost thermostat. We recommend replacing the defrost thermostat anytime that you are having a defrost problem because they are common to go bad and they can sometimes act up intermittently. So even though it is showing continuity, the thermostat might still be bad. To test the defrost heater, unplug the refrigerator and disconnect the wires to the defrost heater. Do a continuity test on the heating element, if it has continuity it is good and if it has not continuity then it is bad and will need to be replaced. Let me know how the repair goes.

These are the parts for your model refrigerator:

Defrost Control Board Kit - 5303918476

Defrost Thermostat - 5303918214

Defrost Heater Kit - 5303918255
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thank you Doc Ryan for all the info's. So today after work I opened the back panel from my freezer side and discovered a lot of ice on the evaporator. Before melting all the ice I checked the continuity for the thermostat and it is OK (I'm going to replace it like you suggested). Then after melting some ice I checked the defrost heater and it is OK. After plugging back the refrigerator for a test I noticed that the evaporator fan is spinning, slowly and stops and start again and stops (is that normal?). The only item now is the defrost control board to be replaced. I was wondering if there is any video showing the steps to do this. Is the defrost control board located in the upper refrigerator compartment? Please reply and thank you for all your help.

Do you have a volt or ohm meter that you can measure the voltage going to the evaporator fan motor? If that fan motor is not working correctly, it can cause the excess frost to build up. The defrost control board is located in the top left of the refrigerator compartment. I'm sorry we do not have any videos on this.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Dear Doc Ryan, I just wanted to thank you for all the help you provided. I'm the happiest person that I don't have to purchase a new refrigerator because of my freezer problem. Yesterday I changed the defrost control board kit with the new wires and new control board provided and I plugged the refrigerator in. Today it was working like new. Your professional expertize proofed that you know appliances even on line from my descriptions. Thank you again and Good Bless. Dan

Great to hear, and thank you for the feedback! I have updated the status of the thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com