Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung RSG257AARS ice path door broke

Samsung RSG257AARS ice path door broke

Model Number: RSG257AARS
    Brand: Samsung

Found out how to remove panel and ice maker. But this still doesn't get me to the area behind the plastic where the flap door is. After removing ice maker and panel. I don't see any other screws?

Is there any step by step or can someone tell me if I have to remove the Door gasket to get at more screws?

(I called A&E Repair through HHGREGG)..they cannot tell me how much it will cost to repair. Is removing the inside of the freezer door a big deal?

Thanks

Jim

I have the same problem. I just got done chatting with Samsung. Apparently it is not a part accesssible for self service. You need to purchase a service manual or have it professionally serviced.

I'm ordering a service manual now. I'll let you know if it works.

I have the same problem. I just got done chatting with Samsung. Apparently it is not a part accesssible for self service. You need to purchase a service manual or have it professionally serviced.

I'm ordering a service manual now. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks very much! Let me know if there are more parts to order as well..Jim

I have the service sheet for this refrigerator and it does not have information on how to take apart that area of the refrigerator. If you can post a picture or two of what you are trying to access I can see if I can help more.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Here is a blow out that was sent to me.

1) The RD068 is the assembly cover ice Route. (I have new one)
    A) I see no route to this part from the front.
    B) I had taken all the parts off that had visible screws, from the inside.

2) I got down to (Look at part RD001) The basic back of the door with the gasket attached. But the structure is behind the plastic (see the ice shoot in RD001?)

3) I have to get to RE130. Top right of diagram.

Have found no instructions as to how the main inside door plastic shell would come off. (Door gasket as well)

http://www.samsungparts.com/Exploded..._04&mode=step2

4)

It sounds like you are trying to access these parts from the back of the door, and you most likely have to access these components from the front. It looks to me like you would have to remove RD026, then RE130 to gain access to RD068.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

I fixed the unit. There are two slots on each side of the ice shoot. (looking at the front and under the water hose.The front comes off and the plastic piece that holds the ice shoot cover has to be unscrewed.). Also you have to bend the spring and have it catch the inside of the holder. I installed it and the spring didn't close the door. So apart it came again. I did not disconnect the button face when I removed it. I taped it to the fridge. All in all after getting it apart it is not hard top fit. Finding the information to get it fix was harder.

Thanks for letting us know.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140717_175158.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	299

Name:	20140717_184056.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	300

Here's a couple photos of disassembly / assembly. Waste of $20 for the manual.

Thanks for posting the pictures, I am sure they will help others.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by JimDuff View Post
    I fixed the unit. There are two slots on each side of the ice shoot. (looking at the front and under the water hose.The front comes off and the plastic piece that holds the ice shoot cover has to be unscrewed.). Also you have to bend the spring and have it catch the inside of the holder. I installed it and the spring didn't close the door. So apart it came again. I did not disconnect the button face when I removed it. I taped it to the fridge. All in all after getting it apart it is not hard top fit. Finding the information to get it fix was harder.
    Just to clarify, you went through the back / inside of the door?

I have been struggling with a similar issue on a Samsung model RFG297AARS. The descriptions posted earlier are very similar to what I have. I even have the service manual for this exact model, but the front panel design is completely different, which renders the removal instructions worthless. The attached photo (if this uploaded, this is my first time posting) shows a slot on the right side of a vinyl plate. No reference is made in the service manual for this slot, but I'm guessing this is to release the clip(s) on the right side of the unit so it can be released. I haven't been successful so far to do this though.

Name:	SAM_0088.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	311

Quote Originally Posted by RobJ81 View Post
    I have been struggling with a similar issue on a Samsung model RFG297AARS. The descriptions posted earlier are very similar to what I have. I even have the service manual for this exact model, but the front panel design is completely different, which renders the removal instructions worthless. The attached photo (if this uploaded, this is my first time posting) shows a slot on the right side of a vinyl plate. No reference is made in the service manual for this slot, but I'm guessing this is to release the clip(s) on the right side of the unit so it can be released. I haven't been successful so far to do this though.
    See the two attached images below for the manufactures instructions for your refrigerator.

Click to enlarge

Name:	dispremoval1.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	312

Click to enlarge

Name:	dispremoval2.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	313

We also made this video for a similar Samsung refrigerator that may help out.

Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    See the two attached images below for the manufactures instructions for your refrigerator.

Click to enlarge

Name:	dispremoval1.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	312

Click to enlarge

Name:	dispremoval2.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	313
    Thanks, I have seen this as well. It makes no sense since it shows to push the panel to the right and push up. There is literally no room to move this panel anywhere.

Success!!

Thanks, I have seen this as well. It makes no sense since it shows to push the panel to the right and push up. There is literally no room to move this panel anywhere.
    I finally managed to get the cover/display loose so I can now get at the ice route assy for removal. I managed to insert a screwdriver in the slot under the cover/display, which allowed me to pull forward to loosen the display. It took one hand to hold the bottom of the screwdriver to pull forward to release. Had to brace my arms against the door to allow enough force to break it loose, but it worked. Never would have gotten this from any of the instructions provided by Samsung. I figured the slot had to serve some functional purpose, but didn't know what. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RFG297AARS Cover-Display 1.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	315

I finally managed to get the cover/display loose so I can now get at the ice route assy for removal. I managed to insert a screwdriver in the slot under the cover/display, which allowed me to pull forward to loosen the display. It took one hand to hold the bottom of the screwdriver to pull forward to release. Had to brace my arms against the door to allow enough force to break it loose, but it worked. Never would have gotten this from any of the instructions provided by Samsung. I figured the slot had to serve some functional purpose, but didn't know what.
    Thanks for the update!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    I have been having this same problem on my RSG257AARSXXA Samsung refrigerator. The ice maker seemed to make ice fine, but the ice chute flap wouldn't close. So after it makes a round of ice it would stop because some sensor was telling it the chute door was open. This thread was very helpful - THANKS! It was accessed from the front/outside of the fridge. On my particular model, to remove the display there were two slots up underneath the dispenser chute. They actually had little triangle arrows next to them, so it was obvious they were some kind of release. I stuck a flat blade screwdriver up inside the slots and could feel a little springy release tab. Insert screwdriver, give it a little twist and it pries the release tabs out of the way allowing the display face to pull outwards. A little jiggling to release the other tabs and the display face was out. From there it was easy. Disconnect wire harnesses, then two screws and a couple of visible tabs to remove the entire door flap+motor assembly.

I haven't actually replaced it yet because I didn't have the part on hand to make the repair. But will do in the next day or two. It's obvious now that I have it out that the door flap is opened by a cam type rotating piece attached to the chute door motor. There should be some kind of return spring that keeps it shut when the cam is in the closed position, but on mine it must have broken and gone flying because no spring is to be found and the door just free hangs. If I can get the spring and figure out how to put it on, then that'll fix my problem. If not, I'll just replace the whole door flap assembly. Still WAAAY cheaper than having a service guy come out. Thanks for the assistance and hope my description helps someone else down the road, too!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanvf1000f View Post
    I have been having this same problem on my RSG257AARSXXA Samsung refrigerator. The ice maker seemed to make ice fine, but the ice chute flap wouldn't close. So after it makes a round of ice it would stop because some sensor was telling it the chute door was open. This thread was very helpful - THANKS! It was accessed from the front/outside of the fridge. On my particular model, to remove the display there were two slots up underneath the dispenser chute. They actually had little triangle arrows next to them, so it was obvious they were some kind of release. I stuck a flat blade screwdriver up inside the slots and could feel a little springy release tab. Insert screwdriver, give it a little twist and it pries the release tabs out of the way allowing the display face to pull outwards. A little jiggling to release the other tabs and the display face was out. From there it was easy. Disconnect wire harnesses, then two screws and a couple of visible tabs to remove the entire door flap+motor assembly.

I haven't actually replaced it yet because I didn't have the part on hand to make the repair. But will do in the next day or two. It's obvious now that I have it out that the door flap is opened by a cam type rotating piece attached to the chute door motor. There should be some kind of return spring that keeps it shut when the cam is in the closed position, but on mine it must have broken and gone flying because no spring is to be found and the door just free hangs. If I can get the spring and figure out how to put it on, then that'll fix my problem. If not, I'll just replace the whole door flap assembly. Still WAAAY cheaper than having a service guy come out. Thanks for the assistance and hope my description helps someone else down the road, too!
    Thanks for the information! I think your model number is probably supposed to be RSG257AARSXAA with an XAA on the end of it instead of XXA. On your refrigerator the only part they sell separate from the ice chute assembly is the door flap with the spring, I am not sure if this is what you need?

These are the parts for your refrigerator:

Ice Route Cover Assembly - Part # PD00006051 (mfg # DA97-00883E)

Ice Chute Assembly - Part # PD00007546 (mfg # DA97-06473B)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Patient
    OK, so since Samsung support is absolutely NO HELP AT ALL, and you guys have been great, I'll ask here. So the problem with the chute door WAS the return spring. The post that it wraps around was sheared off and the spring was totally MIA. I ordered just the cover assembly and not the whole chute+motor assembly and saved like $40. So thanks for that tip. Install was pretty easy. Chute door works as it should now.

HOWEVER...it is only making one batch of ice and then stopping. It did this before the repair also, but I assumed it had something to do with the fact that it was sensing that the chute door wasn't closed. Now I don't know what to think. I hold the reset button for a few seconds and hear the chime. Then a little while later I hear the ice filling with water. But then, after the water filling cycle there is another chime. It's the same tone/chime as when you push the ice maker reset button. It has to be a warning chime that it has detected some kind of error. Either it is detecting the ice bin is full when it is in fact empty. Or it is detecting that the water is overfilling or improperly dispensing or SOMETHING. It's not just a random noise. It is a system chime that is supposed to indicate something, but Samsung support can't tell me what. On a few occasions, it has NOT chimed. Then it goes ahead and makes a second or even third batch of ice. But soon enough, it tries to make another, fills tray with water, then chimes, and doesn't attempt to make any more. What the heck is that chime indicating and how do I go about troubleshooting it/resolving it?!