Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung RSG257AARS ice path door broke

Quote Originally Posted by nathanvf1000f View Post
    OK, so since Samsung support is absolutely NO HELP AT ALL, and you guys have been great, I'll ask here. So the problem with the chute door WAS the return spring. The post that it wraps around was sheared off and the spring was totally MIA. I ordered just the cover assembly and not the whole chute+motor assembly and saved like $40. So thanks for that tip. Install was pretty easy. Chute door works as it should now.

HOWEVER...it is only making one batch of ice and then stopping. It did this before the repair also, but I assumed it had something to do with the fact that it was sensing that the chute door wasn't closed. Now I don't know what to think. I hold the reset button for a few seconds and hear the chime. Then a little while later I hear the ice filling with water. But then, after the water filling cycle there is another chime. It's the same tone/chime as when you push the ice maker reset button. It has to be a warning chime that it has detected some kind of error. Either it is detecting the ice bin is full when it is in fact empty. Or it is detecting that the water is overfilling or improperly dispensing or SOMETHING. It's not just a random noise. It is a system chime that is supposed to indicate something, but Samsung support can't tell me what. On a few occasions, it has NOT chimed. Then it goes ahead and makes a second or even third batch of ice. But soon enough, it tries to make another, fills tray with water, then chimes, and doesn't attempt to make any more. What the heck is that chime indicating and how do I go about troubleshooting it/resolving it?!
    Great to hear that you got the chute door fixed. Since the other problem is not related to this thread, I will have you start a new thread and we can assist you with your other problem there.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

OK so I started this tread thinking I was done. But you know? The door never seats right and the air makes snow in the shoot and blocks the exit. I have never taken it apart again to try and resolve. But now the ice maker is not working. I may have snapped the electrical connections when I first took it apart and maybe the connecting is now intermittent? But do theses ice makers go bad? I took the ice maker off..pressed the reset and I heard the gears move...but when I put in back together..no ice...Samsung should make Televisions and not appliances.

Samsung RSG257AARS ice function is a mess

Ok so I started a thread because the ice shoot door broke. I replaced the plastic door and the ICE function has never been the same. The door allows air to go into the freezer shute and the frost blocks the ice. Also the ice maker has become intermittant. I don't think that there are any sensors that stop the ice maker only the fill bar on the unit itself.

I took apart the ice maker and the cover next to the mechanism that turns the ice crusher. I fiddled with the wires and pressed the test button on the maker..it worked for 2 days and went off again.

I did not see any wires attached to the ice shute door. Why would the door not seat?

I did not want to take that apart again....

Overview???

JimDUFF

Jim,

I would take it apart to see why the ice door is not sealing correctly. If warm air from outside it getting into the ice maker area that could also cause the maker to stop working if the air leak is bad enough. It is also bad for warm moist air to get inside because it can cause from build up inside the air passages.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JimDuff View Post
    I fixed the unit. There are two slots on each side of the ice shoot. (looking at the front and under the water hose.The front comes off and the plastic piece that holds the ice shoot cover has to be unscrewed.). Also you have to bend the spring and have it catch the inside of the holder. I installed it and the spring didn't close the door. So apart it came again. I did not disconnect the button face when I removed it. I taped it to the fridge. All in all after getting it apart it is not hard top fit. Finding the information to get it fix was harder.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post this... between the description and the photos, i was up and running with the new door in about 20 minutes. The photo of how the spring needs to be arranged was key.

I hope it stays functional and making ice now

I almost have the front display off. I released the two clips on either side but it appears there is something on the top of the display that is latched so it eont come off easily. I dont want to break it. Any advice? I too had the spring and post come off. Can the post be replaced or do i need a whole aassembly?

Exactly how should the ice flap post [not the one that breaks] line up to the white wheel? Flap opens correctly, but I have to manually push it back to close. every thing looks fine, makes ice, but the flap does not close

How to remove Samsung ice door and panel on mine with picts

Quote Originally Posted by RobJ81 View Post
    Thanks, I have seen this as well. It makes no sense since it shows to push the panel to the right and push up. There is literally no room to move this panel anywhere.
    Added a few picts to assist others. Thanks to forum to give me the courage to pry a little.

A walk through the picts: Front panel, remove screw and pry(wedge and rotate driver to force the panel out) under front panel and might cause a little damage, and a couple of the assemblies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front cover.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	419

Name:	Pry Cover.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	421

Name:	Dammage from pry and turn screwdriver.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	417

Name:	open assembly.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	420

Name:	Flapper assembly.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	418

I've no problem getting the ice chute assembly out. the flap just wouldn't close. Thinking it was the cam gear motor, I replaced that. Didn't help. So I ordered whole assembly and yes, I saw how the last inch of the spring should mount against the body. I'll know better the next time. With flap now closing, it still was not dispensing water to the ice tray. Thinking it was the warm air icing up the ice maker. that wasn't the case. I had the whole ice maker assembly on hand was the last resort. after few hours I checked the diag code, at first was good. Checked again, and number 5 code was flashing. Replaced the ice maker, and now have clean fresh continuous ice! check your diagnostic codes and save time and $$.

So i had the same problem with lots of frost blocking the ice chute, and the flap door would never close all the way. The posts here helped me remove it and see that the end of the spring was mispositioned. I removed the flap door and reinstalled it with spring correctly postponed and now fall closes firmly. I think this has been this way since we bought it and QA at samsung needs to do a better job.
    thanks to all who provide pics and how to.

I have a similar problem with model RF267AEWP/XAA. I would like to order the correct spring for the flap so that I have the part before I take it apart. There are a number of springs that show up in the parts list for this model. Can you help me identify the correct one to hold the flap in place? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOside View Post
    I have a similar problem with model RF267AEWP/XAA. I would like to order the correct spring for the flap so that I have the part before I take it apart. There are a number of springs that show up in the parts list for this model. Can you help me identify the correct one to hold the flap in place? Thank you.
    This is the ice route cover spring for your model refrigerator:

Ice Route Cover Spring - Part # PD00025194 (mfg # DA61-01914A)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Thanks for the information! I think your model number is probably supposed to be RSG257AARSXAA with an XAA on the end of it instead of XXA. On your refrigerator the only part they sell separate from the ice chute assembly is the door flap with the spring, I am not sure if this is what you need?

These are the parts for your refrigerator:

Ice Route Cover Assembly - Part # PD00006051 (mfg # DA97-00883E)

Ice Chute Assembly - Part # PD00007546 (mfg # DA97-06473B)
    OK. So I ordered the spring, took the mechanism apart and replaced the spring, but it it still not holding the door closed. It seemed like I had the long metal post correctly aligned along the middle of the back of the door in the groove. Any advice from anyone on getting the spring installed so that the door stays closed?
    Thank you,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOside View Post
    OK. So I ordered the spring, took the mechanism apart and replaced the spring, but it it still not holding the door closed. It seemed like I had the long metal post correctly aligned along the middle of the back of the door in the groove. Any advice from anyone on getting the spring installed so that the door stays closed?
    Thank you,
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

Either something isn't installed correctly or you have another broken part. Was your original spring broken?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

RobJ81, Thank you so much for the information. I had been struggling because everything said to remove a screw first. Since the RFG298AARS doesn't have a screw, I tried just prying the cover from the front. It moved a little, but not much. I saw the slot, but I thought there would be a release up inside. Your technique worked great.
    I was able to get the assembly apart and clean everything up (it was pretty dirty). It looks like the spring on the ice chute door is broken (I only see a wire, not the spring portion). The cam gear works to hold the door open, but the door does not close.
    I am looking for a picture of the spring installed correctly and a part number to order. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

My ice door flap is stuck closed! Won't open??

[QUOTE=JimDuff;5120]Model Number: RSG257AARS
    Brand: Samsung

My icemaker door, the flap for the ice comes out, will not open and is stuck closed. The icemaker works fabulous and it comes down the shoot when the button is pressed, but it will not come through the door is the door won't open. We have to reach up and open the door of the ice maker to make the ice come out. Is this the problem of the spring do you think? So weird! It just started happening and we had this fruit refrigerator for four years, since 2012 . Any input from anybody would be greatly appreciated ! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Hi Mark,

Either something isn't installed correctly or you have another broken part. Was your original spring broken?
    Ryan,
    I am having a similar problem to those listed here. The door opens with cam gear properly, but is not closing all the way. It looks like I have only 1/2 of the spring left.
    I would like to try replacing the spring 1st. Can you recommend the correct part for Samsung RFG298AARS? Am I able to just replace the spring on this model?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tjddiy View Post
    Ryan,
    I am having a similar problem to those listed here. The door opens with cam gear properly, but is not closing all the way. It looks like I have only 1/2 of the spring left.
    I would like to try replacing the spring 1st. Can you recommend the correct part for Samsung RFG298AARS? Am I able to just replace the spring on this model?
    Any help is appreciated.
    Tom
    This is the ice route cover spring for your model refrigerator:

Ice Route Cover Spring - Part # PD00025194 (mfg # DA61-01914A)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Thank you for your assistance.

When you insert the rubber flap mechanism back into the chute, the spring has to be preloaded in that slot in the back to create enough tension to close the flap.